Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 09-06-14, 03:37 PM

kmtmd is on a distinguished road
Availability of replacement parts

We are considering purchasing a P337. How hard (or easy) has it been for owners to locate replacement parts when needed for maintenance?

Thanks!
Unread 09-06-14, 08:55 PM

JamesC is on a distinguished road
Never had any trouble finding anything. The problem is more the cost for some OEM parts like it is for all manufacturers. For example the little piston holding the upper clamshell part of the P model door open is something ridiculous like $20,000 from Cessna but that is quite an exception. Obviously it is important to have a mechanic not only good at maintaining Skymasters (or hopefully at least 300/400 series Cessnas) but also good at tracking down green tagged and yellow tagged parts to keep costs reasonable.
Unread 09-08-14, 01:12 AM

SkyMac is on a distinguished road
Hi

Agree with James, parts can be found. Getting in contact with those such as Don Nieser, Yingling and Prefferd Airparts just to name a few.

It comes down to what your replacing, interior plastics I have all new from Plane Plastic's, and have recently worked with them to rebuild their lower clamshell door tooling for a better fitting plastic trim.

Don has been great with ribs and other small panels I have replaced as has Prefferd Airparts. Yingling is very good with many of the small Cessna parts, control cables etc.

Prices are not too unlike other aircraft for parts, somethings are reasonable, some are not.

Ernie Martin has a great helpful guide which I have found very good in assiting me, check out Ernies post's.

Keep in mind I have been completing a total ground up restoration of a 74 Skymaster, not just general maintanence. This being the case I have been on the lookout for a little more than the normal.

And we are almost done!

Dave
Unread 09-16-14, 11:20 PM
Administrator

Ernie Martin is an unknown quantity at this point
I agree, parts can be found. You can save a lot of money if you do the search -- and it's not hard. My page on purchasing parts, mentioned by Dave above, is written for either the owner or the mechanic, and can be found at www.SkymasterUS.com (second link on the left column).

Ernie