Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

View Poll Results: hurricane relief
I am interested in the effort 9 100.00%
I could donate a week of my time 6 66.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 09-03-05, 05:15 PM
Web Master

WebMaster is on a distinguished road
Looks like they are going, starting tomorrow, and one C337, Steve Malin , is going tomorrow
Unread 09-04-05, 09:41 AM

skymaster is an unknown quantity at this point
relief

just returned from baton rouge and alexandria the c130's and helicopters are using for staging into New Orleans. lots of helicopter and heavy military ships. honestly not sure what individual could do other than continue supporting the financial efforts. according to some helio pilots , some areas unaffected others decimated. J
Unread 09-04-05, 11:27 AM
TAS (Thin Air Seeker)

Jerry De Santis is on a distinguished road
Baton rouge

Although the suggestion for private aircraft to help out in Baton Rouge is a very noble endeavor, it is best left to the military until they make a call for that type help. There are many ways for us as individuals to help out. At this time perhaps cash donations to the Red Cross or others organizations. However, as usual, a crisis like what happened in Baton Rouge brings out the best and sorry to say, the worse in mankind. There was a piece in the Lansing newspaper the other day warning all, that donation scams are happening. So as we all do our own thing to help, make sure you know where your donation is going.

I am happy to say that Michigan is helping out by taking in 10,000 refugees. In Battle Creek (BTL) where I am based, we expect 5,000 starting today. They will be housed at Fort Custer for processing to near by communities. If ever State takes in some of those folks, as a nation we can lick the problem quickly.

If your State has not requested to help directly yet, write to your State Government and ask them to do so.

Regards
Jerry
N34EC
Unread 09-04-05, 12:50 PM
Keven

Jerry:

I believe the primary focus of the organizers out of Atlanta is not so much of getting people out, but rather getting necessary medical folks and supplies from all over the southeast INTO the area. Atlanta is an easy place for these folks and supplies to gather, and then make it over to PDK to get onto these private aircraft.

They have already coordinated the medical folks to be at PDK for scheduled departures down to the affected areas. I suppose they are arranging folks to be on the private planes on the way out of there as well, but the focus is getting necessary people and supplies in.

Keven
________
Extreme Q Vaporizer

Last edited by Keven : 04-23-11 at 05:16 PM.
Unread 09-04-05, 04:10 PM

Mark McConaughy is an unknown quantity at this point
How will they know

Well all I can say they sure ain't gonna call if you don't let them know your out there ready willing and able. Yes, large groups of people are moving by the airlines and military. However, as they start to move people in smaller groups and the movement of high priority personnel and supplies and as housing becomes available for individual families, the need for small aircraft will become obvious. Even the military recognizes the need for small aircraft, there are many aircraft in the military inventory, (including at onetime our beloved skymaster) that move smaller numbers of folks all the time. Exactly how many C-12s (KingAirs) does the military have? Hundreds.

Yes, the donations are important but we have a valuable asset that can be used to benefit our fellow citizens. This is no game; the country needs all the help it can get. Someone referred to Dunkirk several days ago. Well that effort was almost entirely private citizens. It’s about 3:00PM CST as I’m writing this on Sunday 09/04. According to FOX News they are estimating in downtown New Orleans alone there are probably fifty (yes I said 50) thousand people that need to be evacuated, that’s not counting the outlying Parishes (or counties if you prefer). The military God Bless em are doing a fine job and frankly they make me proud, but they are going to be maxed out for a while, and like Kevin said, moving doctors and other emergency personnel one, two, or three at a time is right up our alley. Did I mention that some of the airports aren’t in the best shape to handle large aircraft? I seem to remember something about skymasters might be good for short fields, but who knows.

One other thing, in light of some of the boo boos by some in the GA community as of late it wouldn’t hurt for the public to see us helping people and doing some good with our “toys”.
Unread 09-05-05, 08:29 AM
Web Master

I read this last night, thought you folks might like to read this as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimNtexas
I flew into Baton Rouge last night with a load of food donated by a church here in Austin, and left as an Angel Flight carrying "excess baggage" to Dallas. This was the luggage of people Angel Flight had evacuated with more than could be carried in the oridginal flight.

KBTR was a busy, busy place. I never saw so many helicopters even when I was an ALO at Fort Hood. I never saw a C-17 parked at a civilian passenger terminal before.

Besides many civilian airplanes, every service was represented. There was a "plain white" Gulfstream with no n-number that had with a long antenna sticking out the back (Hey I was an EWO for 20 years, I notice these things). The department of homeland security had a Bae-146 there.

At one point a motorcade came onto the ramp, cops in front, cops in back, flashing lights, a limo, several black suburbans. I figured it was Dick Cheney. Turned out it was Payton Manning, the football player.

As someone here warned me, I had to wait a long time for 100LL. Next time I go I'll stop in east Texas or Western Lousiana and fuel. They are worried about running out of 100LL at KBTR.

The counter at the FBO was a zoo, but the pretty MILFs handled the tired and impatient pilots with grace and charm. They always had a smile. ETA: Phones don't work well in Baton Rouge. Both cell and landland phones get circuit busy most of the time. If you come in VFR, cancel in the air, and don't expect to be able to call out.

I met a lot of very capable and take-charge people there.

Returning to Austin at 2am with me were airliners from Alaska Airlines and United Airlines carrying evacuees. They were camly discussing with the tower the various medical emergencies they had on their hands.

On the airport were large bus convoys arrving to take our distressed neighbors to shelters.

The whole experience made me very proud to be even a tiny part of American's aviation community.
You can read more at
Unread 09-05-05, 09:20 AM
Keven

Two Things

First:

The most recent info from http://www.vacationrentalsforfamilies.com/ is that they now are looking for twin 4 seaters. Now . . . everyone qualifies for these missions if they want to fly them. Specifically, the site states:

AS OF 8:30AM, MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 5
SIX PASSENGER TWIN/SINGLE AND 4 PASSENGER TWIN AIRCRAFT REGISTER IMMEDIATELY FOR FEEDER DISTRIBUTION MISSIONS, COMMENCING TODAY. INCREASE NEED FOR MID STATES AND EASTERN STATE CORRIDER TRANSFERS. REGISTER WITH N NUMBER IN COMMENT FIELD AND ACCURATE TWO HOUR TRAVEL DISTANCE RANGE. WHEN REGISTERING FOR TRANSFER SUPPORT MISSIONS AVAILABLE TODAY SO INDICATE IN COMMENT FIELD.

ATTENTION, ATTENTION: SEPTEMBER 5 MISSIONS ARE EXPECTED TO HAVE SUBSTANTIALLY GREATER PASSENGER VOLUMES, TRANSFER AND DISTRIBUTION MISSIONS WILL BE THE PRIMARY FOCUS OF MONDAY, SEPT 5 OPS. PLEASE MAINTAIN DILIGENT REVIEW OF WEB NOTICES POSTED HERE. FOLLOW DIRECTIONS WHEN PROVIDED.

FYI for anyone interested in pitching in.

Second: MILF? I like it. Hadn't seen it in print for awhile. Good work Larry!

Keven
________
MATCHBOX VAPORIZER

Last edited by Keven : 04-23-11 at 05:16 PM.
Unread 09-05-05, 12:00 PM
Web Master

Good Article in AVWEB today
http://www.avweb.com/eletter/archive...ll.html#190523

If you haven't called, why don't you??
Unread 09-09-05, 09:23 PM
Web Master

They need help with fuel costs. Pilots pay their own fuel, but donations are gratefully accepted. Donations help offset the cost of fuel.

http://www.vacationrentalsforfamilie...donations.html

Starting tomorrow they (Brothers Keepers) are going to operate out of Jackson, Mississippi.
Unread 09-12-05, 06:22 PM
Web Master

One of my new buddies said, you can fly that plane.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pict0013.jpg (80.0 KB, 1079 views)
Unread 09-12-05, 10:41 PM

stackj is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to stackj
Thank you, Larry!
Unread 09-12-05, 10:51 PM
Web Master

Luggage wasn't an issue, since I had my cargo pod on
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pict0011.jpg (81.8 KB, 1114 views)
Unread 09-13-05, 06:06 AM
Web Master

Saw Keven's plane at PDK, full feather on the rear engine.

The logistics are a nightmare. People can't leave the shelters, unless they have a place to go to, the plane is available, and they have a medical sign off that they are cleared to fly.

We left HDk, flew direct to HUM (across the NO TFR), Picked up these folks, who were all Dialisys patients in the area. Flew them to PDK, where they were staying with folks. Thoght we'd get a quick turn at PDK, but by the time we got loaded with cargo, it was late. Got the pilots discount at a local hotel.

Full load of cargo, and we're headed back this morning. Hope to do a quick turn, and head back to PDK. Hope.

Met lots of really great folks. All volunteers, who, like me, took time from their jobs to help these folks out. Fuel is not cheap. There are some discounts, but....
Unread 09-13-05, 11:20 AM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
Great report Larry, thank you is in order.

What is the comment about Keven's rear prop feathered? Did I miss something?

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years
Unread 09-14-05, 08:55 AM

skymaster is an unknown quantity at this point
r44 rescue

spoke with r44 rescue chopper guy. he had call for three . went to pick them up and they had enough goods that a s-65 could not pick up. he stayed on ground with their possessions and sent chopper to drop off the overgrossed r44. while on the ground some hooligans tried to rob him. they shot at his knees. he said shoot me if you want this junk. they went away. J