Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 05-22-20, 12:39 PM

hayesjaj is on a distinguished road
Trailer/Transpoort Options for 337

All,

I've got a 337G stuck in Houston that I need to transport to the San Diego area. Transport companies that I've spoken to are unreliable at best. What would I need trailer wise to get the job done were I to move it myself? I've got an A&P on the field who could help with disassembly.

Thanks,
James
Unread 05-22-20, 09:34 PM

JimC is on a distinguished road
Yikes! If you take off the wings outside the booms, you're still left with a load that's overwidth and overheight on a standard flatbed trailer. You can fix the overheight problem by hauling a lowboy, but you're stuck with overwidth.

To get it legal width and height, you've got to remove the entire wing assembly, the struts, the tail and the booms. Unless you already have a CDL, a rig, and a few years experience I can't imagine you'll move it yourself in a way that makes it remotely likely to fly again.

Here's what a 337G looks like when it's been stripped enough to fit on a standard trailer:

(Caution: not safe for skymaster lovers)

http://apw.aero/project/p337-0180/

If there really no option to fix it where it is? Send Mohammed to the mountain instead of moving the mountain?
Unread 05-22-20, 10:59 PM

Thanks. I'm very familiar with the disassembly side of things (it really isn't bad) and no, you can't remove the wings at the booms...the spar is continuous. Sequence must be empennage (horz/vert stabs) off at booms, booms at wing, wings. Reverse to reassemble. Maint manual is very clear on the procedure. Empty weight is about 3000lbs so I'm not sure how it would be overweight.

I am more interested in the trailer setups and how the aircraft was loaded/unloaded. Looks like you can do it in a 8.5 x 20 flatbed without too much trouble or if someone had a transporter who they trust and could recommend.

As for scrapping it...well, that's an option. It needs significant engine work and I would prefer to do it in my hangar with my local shop/a&p whom I trust more than trying to manage remotely at an airport 1500 miles away with limited support available. Honestly its a rather interesting aircraft that I think deserves to fly again (air conditioning/Robertson STOL/good maintenance history etc).
Unread 05-23-20, 11:22 AM

Trippster is on a distinguished road
May I ask what airport in Houston area? We are at KCXO. If it's up on the north side, my IA mechanic might be able to help some if you did want to try to get it flying vs shipping.
Unread 05-23-20, 07:35 PM

Its over in Baytown. I've had a number of false starts with A&Ps in the area and feel the best way to get it done is bring it home. The local guy is really great but not interested in a restoration project and I don't believe that he is an IA. Got hooked up with a different local IA that was a massive false start (to say the least) and another who seemed competent enough but wouldn't sign off on the engines for ferry without pulling them for O/H.... I don't disagree they need it but at I am very technically capable and would prefer to use my local shop and work with my IA to restore this thing the right way end to end.

I'll keep looking at options unless someone comes along and wants a nice 337 project.
Unread 05-25-20, 09:20 AM

JAG is on a distinguished road
Houston Skymasters

Hi - I am located in the Houston area, and I understand your desire to get the aircraft home to work on. I purchased a flyable C337 a few years ago in the Houston area, the seller delivered it to my hangar after I did a quick pre-buy to make sure there were not any hidden problems. I am now about 3 weeks out from completing over 2 years worth of work to bring it back up to my mechanical standards. These aircraft are so forgiving, but when you start to peel back layers, it is amazing to see the small issues lurking everywhere. I would not do this any different when buying a 337 again - would take my time and go through it well, especially if the aircraft has been sitting for a while.
Jeff
Unread 06-23-20, 09:27 AM

MSGP is on a distinguished road
Interested

We are always interested in a 337 project.
What do you have in mind for a sale price.
Mike
Unread 06-23-20, 01:34 PM

Ed Coffman is an unknown quantity at this point
Check with these guys. They disassembled, shipped and reassembled a skymaster I sold to Yap, in Micronesia several years ago. I thought their price was pretty reasonable.

http://neelaviation.com/

Ed

Last edited by Ed Coffman : 06-23-20 at 01:38 PM.
Unread 08-01-20, 12:34 PM

Update: Aircraft successfully moved. I had 35 North Aviation do the move...they happened to have a trailer in Texas already so it turned out to be a great event. Excellent quote and their guy was really a pro. The most difficult part was the wide stance of the aircraft...center to center of the wheels is right at the legal road width limit so it rode the gunnels so to speak all the way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6122.jpg (111.1 KB, 800 views)
Unread 08-02-20, 08:56 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayesjaj View Post
Update: Aircraft successfully moved. I had 35 North Aviation do the move...they happened to have a trailer in Texas already so it turned out to be a great event. Excellent quote and their guy was really a pro. The most difficult part was the wide stance of the aircraft...center to center of the wheels is right at the legal road width limit so it rode the gunnels so to speak all the way.
I think you can actually turn the main gear outside in. I am pretty sure the mains can be remounted to the inside of the spring gear legs and that would allow legal widths

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years
Unread 08-03-20, 01:46 PM

I suggested this (glad to know I wasn't too far off base) but they didn't ultimately need to do it. Good tip for the future though as I think it would have simplified things a lot.
Unread 08-03-20, 10:44 PM

patrolpilot is on a distinguished road
I'm glad you got it where you needed it!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: