Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 03-02-20, 09:47 AM

frank.oconnor19 is on a distinguished road
Help - IR Checkride

I have a real problem and I am looking for solutions.

I have completed a significant amount of IR training, and am ready for my checkride. So we, my instructor and I, started to coordinate with the DPE to get a test scheduled. This is where it got interesting.

The DPE has come back and siad that if I want to take the checkride in my 337 for the first two of the three approaches, and then to a conventional twin for the SE approach. He wants to charge me for two checkrides to do this. In addition my flight school has only a Baron, at $400/hour to do the conventional work with. I am not checked out in a Baron, so that adds at least 2000 to the process, and another 1000 for the checkride. So all in I am at at least 5000 to go from where I am now, which is all of the requisite training is complete, and then some, to my checkride. Which just seems crazy.

Here is my ask, I have time and am checked out in both a Duchess and a Seneca II. I was thinking maybe the most direct thing to do is go somewhere to a flight school that has one of those planes, spend a day to get checked out and familiar with the avionics and schedule a DPE for a checkride the next day, just get this done. Does anyone on this forum have a lead for me to make this happen?

Need help! Thanks.

Frank
Unread 03-02-20, 06:24 PM

patrolpilot is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank.oconnor19 View Post
Here is my ask, I have time and am checked out in both a Duchess and a Seneca II. I was thinking maybe the most direct thing to do is go somewhere to a flight school that has one of those planes, spend a day to get checked out and familiar with the avionics and schedule a DPE for a checkride the next day, just get this done. Does anyone on this forum have a lead for me to make this happen?
That sounds very reasonable, Frank.

I've been facing similar issues with the CFI-ME. Everyone wants me to spend a lot of money. Who I have found is Chickasha Wings in Chickasha, OK, outside of OK City. Mitch, the owner, seems like the real deal and has a Piper Apache. He will send you an email with all the course material and POH. He gets a DPE three times a month. I suspect that he will evaluate your experience and knock it out in a reasonable amount of time.

As soon as I get back from Florida and his schedule works out, I'm heading to Chickasha, OK.
Unread 03-02-20, 10:18 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
Frank

What I have been trying to explain to folks out there trying to get these multi ratings and IR done. There are lots of schools out there that will train in multi engine airplanes and they do it everyday. It sounds crazy but it is going to be so much simpler to just finish the task in a standard twin that is available at almost any school. Then see what the insurance requires for your Skymaster. I guarantee it will be much easier this way then going about it the other way. It's like trying to enter through the back door instead of just walking through the front.

Call your closest flight school and get it done. That may present the next problem is waiting in line at the school as these schools are so busy. Everywhere there seems to be a shortage of CFI's. You could always go to a school like ATP that may have multiple locations and may be able to do you quicker.

Or maybe call these guys and tell them your story http://www.337skymaster.com/messages...ead.php?t=4643

http://www.337skymaster.com/messages...ead.php?t=4631

http://www.337skymaster.com/messages...ead.php?t=4536

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years

Last edited by hharney : 03-02-20 at 10:21 PM.
Unread 03-02-20, 10:28 PM

In my part of the country, the problem is that flight schools don't own a twin anymore. Several list them on their websites, but when you contact them, they don't offer them anymore.
Unread 03-02-20, 10:32 PM

I'm betting that the insurance to teach in a ME is out the roof. I've started to look for an Apache for the purpose, but I'm scared to ask my insurance company about the idea.
Unread 03-09-20, 04:28 PM

Checkride Done!

Well just wanted to report that my checkride woes are now behind me. Completed today and have my new temp certificate. A lot of work to get there, very happy with the result.

Frank
Unread 03-09-20, 04:35 PM

edasmus is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to edasmus
Smile

Awesome..., Congrats Frank!
Unread 03-09-20, 11:00 PM

Congratulations, Frank! So details please; how, what, and where?
Unread 03-10-20, 08:13 PM

Follow up

I have to give all credit and kudos to Ed for solving my problem. As I have chronicled in this forum, I have been getting road block after road block to get my IR completed. When I was at my wits end I reached out to Ed, in a matter of minutes he solved my problem. This included not only referring me to Greg Hudson, but helping me escape from a crazy set of expenses around the convoluted way I was being asked to get my AMEL IR Checkride done. Ed noted that he save me 5000., I think that was conservative, and to boot he saved me a month of additional stress and training.

Ed is a proud owner of several Skymasters, and is well known here in the Southeast.

Greg Hudson, my DPE, worked very hard to solve a few IACRA issues we had, and was more than fair in my checkride. I learned a few things from him, and I really apreceated his methods and approach to the checkride.

As I have posted here previously, I also want to thank Leighton Pressley, he was my instructor, his information is in the Training section of this forum.

Thank you Ed.
Unread 03-10-20, 08:39 PM

Ed Coffman is an unknown quantity at this point
Thank you, Frank.

Ed Coffman
Orion Aviation
www.wefly4u.com
Siler City, NC

Last edited by Ed Coffman : 03-11-20 at 10:44 PM.
Unread 03-12-20, 06:35 AM

Ed, I would have been all over your 1978 Cessna T337H had I seen it back at the end of last summer. The model is was I had been looking for. All I could find were well spent. Very nice looking and equipped airplane!

So Frank, is your ME limited to CLT or did your path find a solution?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: