Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 03-31-15, 06:32 PM

B2C2 is on a distinguished road
Skymasters in Mexico

Attached a picture of Mine and Rob Morris Skymasters on the ramp in Loreto Mexico during the recent Baja Bush Pilots Whales 2015 trip. We actually had a "formation" flight down when we discovered we were 10 miles apart and paced one another for about 200 miles down to MMLT. This trip is a lot of fun, I recommend it highly. My wife and I tacked on a flight down to LaPaz after that and drove over to Todos Santos for the day. A great 6 day adventure, and very happy having an extra engine flying down Baja. Its pretty desolate down there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0049.JPG
Views:	858
Size:	526.0 KB
ID:	1567  
Unread 03-31-15, 10:24 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
Nice photo, I would love to come over and do some Baja flying. We are doing a gathering in August up in Ohio and then a flying adventure to Frederickberg TX in September if you are interested in join up. All the info is on this forum

Keep the thrust in the middle

https://www.facebook.com/groups/28721444559/

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years

Last edited by hharney : 03-31-15 at 10:27 PM.
Unread 04-27-15, 05:39 PM

GypSE Flyer is on a distinguished road
Mexico, Is it safe

Did you feel safe leaving your Skymaster at the airports you landed at? I too, would love flying into Mexico! Also did you have any trouble finding good fuel? I love the Baja and would like to know how easy it is to deal with the goverment down there. Great foto. Makes me want to go now! Planning to go to Ohio, so maybe if someone has flown down there recently, I can get some good tips.
Unread 04-28-15, 07:10 PM

I have always traveled down there somewhat in the bubble of the Baja Bush pilots, which is a large group and probably distorts reality somewhat. My trip to LaPaz was the first time I have traveled by myself, but found the commandante on the field to be exceptionally helpful for flight plan clearances and other paperwork, although certainly expecting a propina for his services. I have heard that fields with a military presence are quite safe, which would include all of the larger towered airports. I have also heard stories of occasional mischief at the smaller strips, but Baja in general seems to be somewhat displaced from the mainland in culture and criminal element. If you are traveling there I'd recommend visiting the BBP pages for advice as they have a lot of up to date information on arcane requirements of Mexican air travel and if there is anything unsavory going on in some locations. I have in general very much enjoyed my time down there. Its a beautiful area and largely unspoiled. When buying fuel its best to pay in pesos, as the exchange rate to dollars is pretty unfavorable. many locals change dollars for pesos, so if you are in a town ask to see where the locals change money, the rate will usually be much better than the hotel. the larger airports usually have fuel, but its mexico, so you have to be prepared for the unexpected.
Unread 04-29-15, 12:24 AM

Thanks

Thanks for the info. I was told that to fly down there, every flight was to be on an approved flight plan. Can you go off your flight plan and explore if you find an area you want to see more of? Also what kind of fees are charge for the services? Thanks again and i will look at the BBP pages.
Unread 04-29-15, 01:39 PM

Once in Mexico, and having cleared customs at an AOE, You need to have a VFR flight plan filed when arriving or departing a towered airport. No tower, no flight plan filed. So what happens when you fly to a towered field from one without a tower? On landing you file, then immediately close a flight plan. I know its odd but that's how it works. The fees change so again the BBP page is the best way to follow this. Also you need to carry certain documents with you in Mexico to prove insurance, medical etc. the BBP member pages are a great source of information for all this. Also when crossing the border you need to file both US and Mexican eAPIS and a DVFR flight plan. Your first airport of landing in Mexico must be an AOE. Details on how to do this are also on the BBP page in the member section and if you are a member you can file the Mexican eAPIS through their page, which is not easy to do otherwise. I was not comfortable doing this trip by myself so made several trips with the BBP before venturing out on my own so I could get familiar with the process and area.
Unread 04-29-15, 11:51 PM

Thank You! Great Info.