Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 04-13-11, 03:37 PM

Rick Gardner is an unknown quantity at this point
Beware Mundo Maya airport DOES NOT have AVGAS.
Unread 04-18-11, 10:22 AM

O. Lynn Justice is on a distinguished road
Cool Been there, done that

Earl:

I have lived and flown in Central America for several decades, most recently in based in Guatemala. I made the trip from Texas to Central America for years in a 206, and have done it on the average 4 or 5 times a year for the past 12 years in my Turbo Skymaster. Granted, it is not safe to drive through Mexico, but generally it is fine to fly. I have made the straight through flight from Brownsville to Guatemala, or back a half dozen times, a couple times just to do it, and the other times because it was more expedient due to weather or unavailability of fuel. I have 128 gallon tanks and can do it with one hour fuel reserve.
I prefer stopping in Vera Cruz for several reasons. For one, I am not so sharp after 5 hours of straight through flying. Frequently the conditions over the mountains of Southern Mexico and Guatemala require one to be sharp. Second, I like to stop in Vera Cruz. The people are friendly and helpful. I can stretch, get a bite to eat. You have to have Mexico insurance and there is a $120 tax for using Mexico airspace (it costs about the same for multiple entries as for one), but it is worth the peace of mind knowing you can set down anyplace you need or want to.
Give me a holler when you land in Guatemala. If I am there, I am good for a meal.

Lynn - lynnjustice@mac.com - Guatemala cellphone 502 5915-6656
Unread 04-26-11, 09:37 PM
Administrator

Ernie Martin is an unknown quantity at this point
I should note that Lynn came from Guatemala to join us for the 2004 Skymaster Meeting and Fly-In held at Oklahoma City in 2004 (with a side trip to Ada, Oklahoma to learn about flying Lean-of-Peak from the folks at GAMI). He regaled us on flying his Skymaster in Central America, including a belly landing where the cargo pod saved the airplane from any damage and the pod itself suffered only moderate damage that was easily fixed locally.

Ernie