Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 11-29-11, 01:42 PM

Red Air Rambo is on a distinguished road
Run Over @ 20,000'

I felt so bad at the autopilot thread being sidetracked that I thought I would start a new thread dedicated to this danger. Please post how many times this has happened to you (sideswipes count)! Also trying to determine who the worst offenders are so we can start tracking them and issue notams!

Last edited by Red Air Rambo : 11-29-11 at 03:51 PM.
Unread 11-29-11, 09:53 PM

rick bell is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Air Rambo View Post
I felt so bad at the autopilot thread being sidetracked that I thought I would start a new thread dedicated to this danger. Please post how many times this has happened to you (sideswipes count)! Also trying to determine who the worst offenders are so we can start tracking them and issue notams!
ok track me
Unread 11-29-11, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick bell View Post
ok track me
don't have too...not working for NORAD anymore!
Unread 11-30-11, 06:45 PM

All kidding aside, Mid-airs can happen at any altitude...I almost had one with a couple F-15E's in Eastern Turkey rejoining on the same tanker at 21,000 (you'd think with 8 eyeballs between the 2 of them somebody would be looking at something besides the tanker) and I've also almost had one with a crop duster at 100' agl on a lowlevel. I've had numerous close calls in restricted areas and MOA's where people just fly through them VFR not talking to anybody. I always fly IFR or VFR flight following but there are people out there that fly without talking or squawking so keep your head on a swivel!
Unread 11-30-11, 09:59 PM
Web Master

WebMaster is on a distinguished road
4x

One was kind of funny, one was interesting, 2x no fun.
Unread 12-01-11, 01:10 AM

sns3guppy is on a distinguished road
I've overtaken a lot of traffic at higher altitudes, but haven't been run over up there. Converging traffic can sometimes be an issue, but in the flight levels, traffic is more established, and most equipment is TCAS equipped and under positive radar control. Most aircraft are crewed by trained and experienced pilots/crews, too.

Around FL180, different hazards exist. The weather is among them. A lot of your short-range traffic, as well as slower, smaller traffic is found just above or below the transition level at FL180 (in the Continental US). This can include turbojet, turboprop, and piston equipment. A lot of aircraft hang out close to the transition level, either just above or below it; 20,000' is an altitude where nearly everything else that's not hanging out at FL200 will be climbing or descending at high speeds through FL200.

Most of my close calls with respect to traffic have been at much lower altitudes, including a recent TCAS resolution advisory at 7,000' near Newark, earlier this year.

In Iraq, I averaged three near-misses nightly. In my opinion, that's way too much. I haven't experienced nearly that number in Afghanistan, but the conflict potential is very much there.

That said, I'm not flying a skymaster in Afghanistan, either. My single biggest concern in flying has always been the potential to have a traffic conflict with a light airplane on a VFR weekend, especially near high-traffic areas. Sometimes there's just no telling.
Unread 12-06-11, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns3guppy View Post

In Iraq, I averaged three near-misses nightly. In my opinion, that's way too much. I haven't experienced nearly that number in Afghanistan, but the conflict potential is very much there.
+1 Iraq was a mess...take the most congested airspace you know of and throw in UAV's (Predator's... etc.)....u get the pic.

Last edited by Red Air Rambo : 12-06-11 at 09:32 PM.
Unread 12-08-11, 12:22 AM

In Iraq, there was a lot going on at times, but it was always the UAV's that concerned me the most. Hazards to aerial navigation, if you ask me.
Unread 12-08-11, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns3guppy View Post
In Iraq, there was a lot going on at times, but it was always the UAV's that concerned me the most. Hazards to aerial navigation, if you ask me.
+1... did you actually fly the Guppy and was it the mini, pregnant or the super? One of the coolest planes I've ever seen...I was SOF one day in Tulsa when we loaded one of our Oshkosh Firetruck's to go to Iraq or Afghnistan...I don't remember which...it was early in the war(s).
Unread 12-14-11, 12:07 PM
Web Master

Howard story

"My last 'close encounter' with a hot-rod Howard occurred back in the mid 70's. I was a proud young co-pilot on a shiny new Merlin III, my first turbo-prop job. We were enroute from Florida back to Texas cruising at 20000 feet and 260 kts when ATC called overtaking traffic at 22000. I looked out the window and saw a Howard 500 going by us like we were standing still. So much for turbines."
Unread 12-14-11, 07:49 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
200 Gallons per Hour

325 MPH
And a beauty she is. Those are some fine lines.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2011-12-14 at 7.44.04 PM copy.jpg
Views:	925
Size:	260.6 KB
ID:	1330   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2011-12-14 at 7.46.52 PM copy.jpg
Views:	906
Size:	203.4 KB
ID:	1331  

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years
Unread 12-14-11, 09:03 PM
Web Master

Twin Tail

Look, it even has twin tails, like a Skymaster.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HOWARD.jpg
Views:	931
Size:	189.0 KB
ID:	1332  
Unread 12-15-11, 02:03 PM

When I was a kid a Doctor had one across the field....I would just stand there and drool....just a beautiful plane.
Unread 12-17-11, 06:59 AM

Quote:
+1... did you actually fly the Guppy and was it the mini, pregnant or the super?
None of the above. We had C-97's, but no guppy's. The guppy in my login name came from the Sorrell SNS2 Guppy. It's SNS3 because SNS2 was taken at the time. It was a homebuilt project I started quite a few years ago.

We also had really nice L-18. It's not a Howard, but similiar. Not nearly as fast.
Quote:
I was SOF one day in Tulsa when we loaded one of our Oshkosh Firetruck's to go to Iraq or Afghnistan...I don't remember which...it was early in the war(s).
I've carried a lot of that kind of equipment into certain locations downrange, as well as trucks trailers, armored equipment like MRAPS, helicopters, etc. Just not in B377 variants. In fact, I'm there doing that, now.