Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 08-24-02, 10:32 PM

Mark Hislop is an unknown quantity at this point
Leaking Seals

Don:

Your mechanic probably already has done this, but just in case..

Make sure that all of the little cups under (one underneath each dzus fastener) around the periphery of the avionics inspection hatches are actually there. They are just glued in place, and over time can fall off. If these are missing, water can leak through the fastener.

Mark
Unread 08-25-02, 12:09 AM

Don Hickman is an unknown quantity at this point
Yes, he's checked that before. Still no idea how the water is getting in or from where. And what I can't understand is how water can come into the plane while it's pressurized. Seems to me that if there's a leak, air ought to be going out, not water coming in. And, if fact, I can't get more than 2 lbs cabin pressure differential so there's got to be leaks somewhere. We've replaced all the seals, grommets, etc. where cables, etc. go through the pressure vessel but no difference.

Ah, the joys of Skymaster ownership!
Unread 08-25-02, 10:34 PM

kevin is on a distinguished road
My airplane seemed to be leaking in that area (P337), but it turned out to be the windshield.

Are you sure it is leaking in when you are pressurized? Could it be during climb or descent?

Try it the old fashioned way. Put some cloth or something else that is absorbent inside the avionics bay just under the panels. Put the panels back on. Pour water over the panels (small amount at first). Take panels off. Location of drips should show you where you need to work. If no drips, try more water, eventually spraying seams lightly. If still no drips, this whole process should show you a leak somewhere else, then you can work it.

If you get water on the avionics, obviously work very hard to dry them out before turning things on again.

When I got my airplane, it had been left out in the elements for six months (Oregon, it rains once in a while here). During prepurchase, we discovered it was a water bomber. There was about an inch of standing water in the belly. Drains were blocked. You probably should check this too.

You (and I) are not alone. The only other P337 here at Hillsboro has similar issues when he left his airplane tied down outside. Mine is hangared.

Kevin