Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Unread 02-18-10, 09:34 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
I don't know which optional tanks it had. Given the winglets are Aviation Enterprises maybe the fuel cells are also. I know that some of the optional tip tanks do have a jetison system so that if you have to land before exhausting the fuel the fuel can be dumped so that the gross weight is legal for landing. The increased gross weight is for T/O and flight only and not landing.

Here is the info on the Flint extended tip tanks. It increases the Gross Wgt to 4,630 except where the GW is already 4,700 from Cessna. No dump system on the Flint Kit.

http://www.flintaero.com/337.htm

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years

Last edited by hharney : 02-19-10 at 12:42 PM. Reason: Added info on Flint
Unread 02-18-10, 09:53 PM

jack374dn is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hharney View Post
I don't know which optional tanks it had. Given the winglets are Aviation Enterprises maybe the fuel cells are also. I know that some of the optional tip tanks do have a jetison system so that if you have to land before exhausting the fuel the fuel can be dumped so that the gross weight is legal for landing. The increased gross weight is for T/O and flight only and not landing.

Thanks Herb ....

Jack
Unread 02-21-10, 08:54 PM

birddog is an unknown quantity at this point
Has there been a report released on the may 2008 skymaster that went down in Millville, Cumberland County, with Stephen Claussen on board?
________
RED HEAD GIRL LIVE

Last edited by birddog : 04-09-11 at 05:03 PM.
Unread 02-21-10, 09:29 PM
Forum Administrator

Millville/Eagle Nest Accident

If I remember reading this incident it had something to do with fuel management. Here is the dialog findings about the fuel system.

The main tanks contained either trace amounts, or were completely devoid, of fuel. The right auxiliary tank contained approximately 11 gallons, and the left auxiliary tank contained approximately 2 gallons. The recovered fuel was clear and bright, with no visible contaminants. Tests with water-detection paste were negative, which indicated that no water was present in the fuel.

The fuel selector valve handle for the front engine was found in the "Left Aux" position, and the corresponding fuel selector valve was found set to the port from the left auxiliary tank. The fuel selector valve handle for the rear engine was found in the "Right Main" position, and the corresponding fuel selector valve was found set to an unused port, which was the "off" position.

Here's the full report

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief2.asp?...08FA184&akey=1

Weight and Balance Report
http://www.ntsb.gov/Dockets/Aviation...184/424353.pdf

Last edited by hharney : 02-21-10 at 09:58 PM.
Unread 02-23-10, 01:59 AM

Skymaster337B is an unknown quantity at this point
Wow, a fuel thing. Seems to be the cause of many 337 accidents. My rules: 1. Always top off the mains 2. Never fly more than 3 hours on the mains 3. Never switch the aux tanks at the same time, wait at least 5-10 minutes 4. Always feel for the indent 5. Grease the fuel valves during each annual 6. Burn main tanks for at least 2 hours before switching to the aux tanks (book says 1 hour, but why do just the minimum?)

Comments?
Unread 02-23-10, 09:46 AM
Forum Administrator

I like to use my aux tanks as soon as possible on long trips because you can't use the aux for landing. I wait the 60 minutes on the mains and then switch to the aux's and finish them early into the trip. I let the aux's run for 60 minutes and then switch the front back to the main while the rear runs out on the aux then once the main is back in place on the rear I switch the front back to the aux and run it out. Typically about 75 - 80 minutes per aux at normal cruise.

Unread 02-23-10, 03:19 PM

birddog is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by hharney View Post
If I remember reading this incident it had something to do with fuel management. Here is the dialog findings about the fuel system.

The main tanks contained either trace amounts, or were completely devoid, of fuel. The right auxiliary tank contained approximately 11 gallons, and the left auxiliary tank contained approximately 2 gallons. The recovered fuel was clear and bright, with no visible contaminants. Tests with water-detection paste were negative, which indicated that no water was present in the fuel.

The fuel selector valve handle for the front engine was found in the "Left Aux" position, and the corresponding fuel selector valve was found set to the port from the left auxiliary tank. The fuel selector valve handle for the rear engine was found in the "Right Main" position, and the corresponding fuel selector valve was found set to an unused port, which was the "off" position.

Here's the full report

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief2.asp?...08FA184&akey=1

Weight and Balance Report
http://www.ntsb.gov/Dockets/Aviation...184/424353.pdf
Thanks for the information. This came up cross referencing the reports on N12NA. I did not recall the history on that accident so thanks for the details. It's a valuable reminder on fuel management!
________
Ipad Cases

Last edited by birddog : 04-09-11 at 05:03 PM.
Unread 02-23-10, 05:41 PM
Forum Administrator

NTSB Report Posted

Here is the prelim report for N12NA

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?e...15X82210&key=1

Unread 02-24-10, 05:27 AM
Web Master

WebMaster is on a distinguished road
Sad incident, but I find it interesting that even with the wing separating from the aircraft, the failure was out board of the strut, and the wing to fuselage integrity was not compromised.

It would seem to eliminate the need to remove the wings for Cessna's SIDs.