Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 11-18-07, 08:23 PM

cessna02337 is an unknown quantity at this point
Garmin 496...

Getting ready to purchase, I have a KLN-90B and Argus 7000 moving map with traffic in the aircraft already, looking to supplement, mostly for live weather, etc.

Any comments? Thanks in advance!
Unread 11-19-07, 03:28 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
I bought the 496 in April and signed up for XM in July. So far it has been great. I replaced my 196 with the 496. I have a 530 in the panel but I refuse to pay for weather on it because of the price of the GDL 69. With the 496 it gives so many more options like using it on the ground in the rental car, back up in case of electrical failure, panel page is worth the money on it's own if you ever had to use it for primary. I have made some landings using only the panel page as secondary of course, and it is amazing to use. A real lifesaver. I really like the terrain page too.

The way I see it, there is really no excuse to not have the 496. It is the best buy of anything when you consider the features that are packed into that little box. Then when you step up to XM weather, wow, what a tool. Just becareful to remember that the image is dated. It is not a replacement for radar or stormscope.

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years
Unread 11-19-07, 08:40 PM

Thanks

Thanks for the info on the 496. I should have it tomorrow and ordered the weather package (highest $) and can't wait to utilize it. Thanks for the info regarding the backup features.
Unread 11-20-07, 09:53 PM

Skymaster337B is an unknown quantity at this point
How much time is in between the XM wx broadcast maps? It seems to me like if they are not transmitting near real time info then they are risking hugh liability.
Unread 11-21-07, 09:42 AM
Web Master

WebMaster is on a distinguished road
No liability. These are informational, and VFR, only. The delay can be up to 50 minutes, and still be considered current. Typically delays are 10-15 minutes.
Nothing beats on-board radar if you are trying to thread your way through some stuff, but the nexrad display is really nice, and the metar data is very helpful.
Unread 11-21-07, 10:13 AM
Administrator

Ernie Martin is an unknown quantity at this point
Larry, for those of us who don't have it, two questions:

1. Is the image annotated with the time it was taken?

2. Can you get a "loop" display, showing 4 or 5 images in sequence?

If the answer to both is "yes", then it should be possible in many cases to extrapolate what the weather is doing now and perhaps for the next 10-30 minutes. Comments?

Ernie
Unread 11-21-07, 10:52 AM
Web Master

Ernie, I don't know. Herb would, and others. I have on-board radar, so I haven't purchased the 496 yet.

I can tell you with on-board radar, one of my most memorable trips was this past summer. I was at 9K, smooth air, and just zooming (good tail wind) around the cells. I would of course ask ATC for deviations. I would watch the cell disappear from the screen, and turn back on course. It was fun.

My on-board doesn't have trends or other information, only what is currently out in front. That is a drawback, because you can't really see what is out to the side, and may affect you until it is in front. There is about a 30 degree cone, either side of heading, that you can see what is happening.

nexrad display would be helpful for showing you what is off to the side so you can plan better.
Unread 11-21-07, 12:48 PM
Administrator

Ernie Martin is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a StormScope, so I don't have trend information. It just seems to me that a delay in nexrad might be manageable if the data is time-annotated and you can loop it.

Ernie
Unread 11-21-07, 09:58 PM

It sounds like there is still nothing like a good ground controller with real time doppler radar displayed on his scope. But, not all RAPCONS have such good equipment.
Unread 11-22-07, 12:33 PM

496 XM Weather

I fly full time for a living, nothing will replace on-board weather radar. The 496 gives you great situational awareness. It does have a weather loop display, which will show trends (same presentation you would see from a WSI dispaly at the FBO, minus tops). This feature is not available on most business jets.

The update rate can be as quick as 5 - 10 minutes, again it is only for "big picture" look ahead. It also shows cloud cover and L and H weather prog as well.

I now have a KLN 90B, Argus 7000 with TCAD and the 496 to round it out...great stuff.
Unread 11-26-07, 05:00 PM
Web Master

I agree that the 496 is a wonderful tool. I also agree that onboard radar can't be beat.

Avionic International, www.avionix.com, has an interesting note on weather radar.
"
According to the National Transportation Safety Board, well over 200 fatalities have been attributed to thunderstorm-related accidents over the past five years. Many of these accidents could have been avoided if the aircraft were equipped with weather radar or stormscope systems..

Today, there are few valid excuses for not having one of these systems aboard your aircraft. The cost has come down dramatically on new units and some reconditioned systems can be had for well under $2,500. The best models integrate navigation, course plotting and checklist information on the screen along with weather data. This gives you features and information useful even in CAVU conditions. "

Back before I had a GPS, I was headed for Beaver Island, and it was VFR, but very hazy. I pointed my radar down, and painted the island, long before I could make it out.

I looked at www.avionix.com, and they have refurbished radar systems for less than $8K The GDL-69 (data link weather on your 530) has a list price of $6,200.

It would seem to me that if you are looking to upgrade your systems, a radar system would be a better investment than a GDL-69. The catch is the pod that is required to hang the radar out on the wing. The pod's all accept the 10 inch antenna, but not the 12 inch antenna. They are extremely scarce, and there is no "new" supply. However, I remember Payton McCool had a radar system in his plane, a "Weather Scout", and it mounted in the leading edge of the wing, no pod required, and those units are less than $6K. They are not as versitile as the pod mounted units, but far more afordable, installable, and give you real time weather.

Just food for thought.
Unread 11-26-07, 10:03 PM

So what kind of radar system can buy had for less than $2,500?
Unread 11-26-07, 10:16 PM
Web Master

None, of course. However, if one was considering upgrading their panel, and a garmin 530 was on the list, I would suggest a 496 and on board radar, vs the GDL 69.

Of course, it's only good if you do a significant amount of IFR / IMC flying.
Unread 11-27-07, 06:41 PM

tropical is an unknown quantity at this point
The wing leading edge radar antennas are crap, at the best. It's almost the same as not having radar.

As far as the GDL69, I bought mine refurbished by Garmin for $2800. Right now I'm installing a GNS 530 with the GDL69, a GTX330 transponder (to give me traffic).

Radar is only as good as the operator. In most GA planes at altitudes below 10K, you can see about 25 miles ahead. With something else on board that has downlink weather, you can get a bigger picture of what's going on.

Flying solid IMC with embedded thunderstorms is just plain stupid, especially at altitudes below 20K.

BTW, I'm removing my Garmin 396 and AirGizmo panel dock. If anyone is interested let me know, otherwise it's going on Ebay.
Unread 11-27-07, 07:24 PM

stackj is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to stackj
The GNS-530 is a great box. I have one, but elected to keep the KLN-90B as well. We update the database in the KLN-90B only annually, but keep current data in the Garmin.

It is great to have two GPS's. You might want to hang on to that 396. It's a great backup unit. I'd rather have two GPS's than two VOR's.

We also have a Controlvision weather system with the XM WX downloads (bought it at the Key West Skymaster meeting). So we really have 3 GPS's - Two for nav and one for weather, METARs and such. It's great to be able to get airport weather a hundred miles from your destination. AWOS and ASOS can't be received that far out.

Last edited by stackj : 11-27-07 at 07:28 PM.