Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 09-19-15, 10:58 AM

rmorris is an unknown quantity at this point
Skymaster Insurance for Cuba trip

Never thought insuring my plane would be so tough. I am signed up for the Caribbean Flying Adventure flyin to Cuba Oct 9th...and super excited. But need help from the board members trying to track down insurance....I figure by throwing it out there on public forums, hopefully someone has an answer...

my current full coverage insurance policy does not cover me in Cuba...Belize, Guatemala, Mexico yes...Cuba no.

here's what I've tried so far:
- had current broker call current insurance carrier and ask if they would extend coverage...no
- found out that the flyin coordinator (Jim Parker, who is awesome) has coverage from USAIG on his Cutlass which covers Cuba...so I reached out to them, and they decline to cover a Skymaster (WTH?)
- found another pilot who is an underwriter with QBE who initially said he would cover me with a liability only policy, then when he found out I currently had a full coverage polict changed course. Even if I cancel my current polict, he will not even quote me on a liability only policy
- went back to original broker and asked him to ask around, full coverage or liability, for anyone...so far he says he cannot find anyone who will cover a Skymaster...again, WTH? Skymaster is probably the safest bet for the trip...all the little single engine guys are getting coverage (think 10 planes making the trip)...but not me.

I am willing to look at any options...even if I have to cancel my current coverage and get a liability only policy for now. I have paid 100% non-refundable for the trip...so I am going, but need to get minimally (for Cuba authorities) a liability plan showing Cuba coverage.

So, here's ,y ask of anyone and everyone...send this msg out to your fellow plane owner friends as well....send out messages to your insurance brokers/carriers and ask if they will cover a 1968 T337C Turbo Super Skymaster with geographic coverage for Cuba. Open to all options (trip only, trip only liability, regular full yr liability only, regular full yr full coverage, whatever).

Have any brokers who think they can help, drop me a line directly at rmorris@agsi.us

BTW - I am a CFI/CFII/MEI/AGI with approx 1800hrs, 150hrs last yr, no accidents/incidents on record, etc

-Robert
Unread 09-20-15, 02:24 PM

B2C2 is on a distinguished road
Hi Rob

wow that's really bizarre about not insuring a skymaster. I wonder if it has anything to do with the cuban airforce downing one some time ago. I was strongly considering doing the cuba trip but didn't ultimately sign up so didn't get as far as insurance. Please let us know how you get this fixed as I was thinking about going on the trip early next year.

Ben
Unread 09-22-15, 06:04 PM

Skymaster Cuba coverage

OK, finally looks like I am getting coverage, so the trip is a go !

This broker got back to me;
Diana Brashear
Account Manager
Falcon Insurance Agency of CA, Inc.
PO Box 1000
Upland, CA 91785
O-(909) 949-4993
F- (909) 949-2088

She sent a quote for coverage from Starr Insurance, which she says includes Cuba in their coverage territories. I have countersigned and sent back, so should be good to go. Will advise if anything changes.
Unread 09-24-15, 10:19 PM

that's great you got insurance. Did you have to cancel your existing insurance or is this just for the duration of your time in Cuba?
Unread 09-25-15, 01:11 PM

cuba coverage

I canceled my original policy, since the new policy is about the same price and configuration...but offered to cover Cuba out of the gate and not some special exception.

An interesting note is that as soon as I sent off the cancellation email, my original insurer said they will begin offering Cuba coverage effective Monday. I decided to cancel anyway, since they screwed around for so long as i kept asking for that simple coverage extension and got stonewalled....ie too little, too late.
Unread 10-07-15, 11:31 PM

That is interesting that they started offering insurance. I'm guessing the situation on the ground is moving faster than the situation at the home office. Cuba is open for business, but insurance companies are playing catch up.
Unread 11-18-15, 01:54 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
From Robert

As some of you know, I flew my plane as part of a people to people Cuba cultural exchange earlier this month (then went back for a second trip)….the 14 planes in our group were the first USA based private planes to land at that airport in 57 years! They brought out the band, dancing girls, and even flew the American Flag at the airport…pretty cool. We made the national news…

the video of the national news coverage in Cuba: http://youtu.be/5dlphX0YjYU
…see if you recognize anyone in it

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years
Unread 02-04-16, 04:26 PM
Forum Administrator

FYI - Cuban Travel

From AOPA services today:

GA flights to Cuba are still very difficult. There are some gaining approval on the basis of a list of items such as humanitarian outreach, journalism purposes, etc., but general tourism is still not permitted. We are expecting to see the limitations loosened at some point, but when is difficult to estimate. There are policies and rules that need to be updated from a variety of government agencies before tourism becomes an easy process. We post information to our website as soon as we have it available, so stay tuned there for future updates.

Unread 02-05-16, 11:01 AM

Cuba is accessible

Herb - not sure why AOPA and some of the other 'orgs' are so misinformed, and spreading that misinformation as gospel. Cuba is very accessible, but just not wide open jump in your plane and go with no research. The easiest way to do it? Contact Jim Parker at Caribbean Flying Adventures- jim@caribbeanflyingadventures.com
we have flown on his flyins, very cost-effective, to Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico, Caymans, Belize, Guatemala, etc....and of course Cuba. He even offers a 'fly it yourself' option for going to Cuba. Basically, ask him for info and he will help even if you don't join his flyins.
Unread 02-05-16, 10:52 PM
Forum Administrator

Yes, Robert very interesting. That's kinda why I posted it. The real world we live in is not in touch with the media