Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 01-19-03, 12:49 PM

kevin is on a distinguished road
(Radar) Pod

Anybody out there know:

1.) Where to find a radar pod for a '73 P337? Don't need radar, just the pod.

2.) What such a pod might cost to buy?

3.) Whether it might be pratical to fabricate and field approve or (yuk) STC such a thing?

I have been flying an EVS camera system around, and it is working quite well from inside the cabin. We are thinking of mounting it on the wing, a radar pod seems the easiest way to do this...

For anybody who is interested EVS means Enhanced Vision System and describes systems typically using infrared or millimeter wave radar to produce a better visible image than the naked eye at night and/or during bad weather. Various levels of system are using for landing guidance, situational awareness, and taxiing.

Kevin
Unread 01-19-03, 07:48 PM
TAS (Thin Air Seeker)

Jerry De Santis is on a distinguished road
Talking Radar

Hi Kevin, Can you bring information on the system to Nashville? I think a lot of people will be interested in it.
Thanks
Jerry
Unread 01-20-03, 09:48 AM

kevin is on a distinguished road
Sorry Jerry, it is a prototype, not my project, just a favor for a friend that I am helping him with, and it is not ready for public discussion yet.

Also, did you get my email a month or so ago? At this point, I think I will be unable to attend Nashville. I may have to sell my airplane after the annual, but even if I don't, and even using airline tickets that one of the board members offered, I just don't think I can afford the expense. I am working about 80 hours a week, but Liza is still looking for web design/webmaster type work, and half of the work I am doing is on a business that I am working on starting (to pay for the airplane). From this vantage point, it just does not look like a good time for me to take time away. In March I will have a better handle on where my finances are, and I'll make a decision about the airplane. If I have to sell it, coming to spend time talking about Skymasters would be painful.

I hope I'm wrong and things have improved by March, so I can attend after all.

Kevin
Unread 01-20-03, 12:00 PM
Web Master

WebMaster is on a distinguished road
Radar

When I was in OSH, the folks at Riley said they paid 25K for a pod. They are rare, and as a result, expensive.
You could consider talking to Steve Cassidy, or John Rousman, over in Detroit. Cassidy has a pod under the wing of his 0-2, that has a camera mounted in it.
http://www.cassidyinc.com/
Unread 01-20-03, 03:24 PM

Be sure and send me an email if you decide to put the P337 on the market. I'm beginning to look. I sold a 75 337G a couple of years ago and now am looking for a reasonably price P.