Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread 03-02-20, 09:47 AM

frank.oconnor19 is on a distinguished road
Help - IR Checkride

I have a real problem and I am looking for solutions.

I have completed a significant amount of IR training, and am ready for my checkride. So we, my instructor and I, started to coordinate with the DPE to get a test scheduled. This is where it got interesting.

The DPE has come back and siad that if I want to take the checkride in my 337 for the first two of the three approaches, and then to a conventional twin for the SE approach. He wants to charge me for two checkrides to do this. In addition my flight school has only a Baron, at $400/hour to do the conventional work with. I am not checked out in a Baron, so that adds at least 2000 to the process, and another 1000 for the checkride. So all in I am at at least 5000 to go from where I am now, which is all of the requisite training is complete, and then some, to my checkride. Which just seems crazy.

Here is my ask, I have time and am checked out in both a Duchess and a Seneca II. I was thinking maybe the most direct thing to do is go somewhere to a flight school that has one of those planes, spend a day to get checked out and familiar with the avionics and schedule a DPE for a checkride the next day, just get this done. Does anyone on this forum have a lead for me to make this happen?

Need help! Thanks.

Frank