Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 07-08-05, 03:41 PM

Pat Schmitz is an unknown quantity at this point
Ok - I have the Fax, on the Dynon Approval - I can hardly believe It!! Add that to the excitement of the new Garmin 396 Announcment w/ XM Sat Weather/Radio, and we can have some great capabilities in our aircraft for a 'reasonable' price once again!!

I will email this back to you Jack (for distribution with others)
If you give me the release - I will gladly share with others!!

Thanks for sharing!!

Pat (soon to be an EFIS User!!)
Unread 07-08-05, 03:46 PM

wybenga is an unknown quantity at this point
Dyno 337

I intented it for distribution, so go ahead...just take the parts list with a grain of salt

Jack
________
EXTREME Q TEMPERATURE SETTING

Last edited by wybenga : 09-01-11 at 05:40 AM.
Unread 07-08-05, 04:10 PM

Ok -

Anyone who wants it... Send me an email and I'll forward it on!!

Thanks Jack!

My address is pschmitz@starband.net

Happy Flying!
Unread 07-08-05, 07:06 PM
Jim Rainer

Jim Rainer is an unknown quantity at this point
What would really be nice is if someone who has access to a picture of an installation post it here. Thanks.
Unread 07-11-05, 10:47 AM

Jim, I will take a picture this weekend...but I didn't know you could post attachements on this site

Thanks

Jack
________
AlannaThomas live

Last edited by wybenga : 09-01-11 at 05:40 AM.
Unread 07-11-05, 10:54 AM

You can paste the picture into your response here...
Kevin (sysop) just prefers that we 'not' do that too much (just special occasions), as it takes a lot of disk space... I think this occasion is special!

Pat
Unread 07-11-05, 04:57 PM
Jim Rainer

Jim Rainer is an unknown quantity at this point
I agree. Thanks!

Jim Rainer
Unread 07-19-05, 09:15 AM

N1049D Panel

Here is the panel without the plastic cover, if anyone has a drawing for the metal panel, it can save me a lot of effort

Jack
________
BONGS
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mvc-250f.jpg (125.6 KB, 1610 views)

Last edited by wybenga : 09-01-11 at 05:41 AM.
Unread 07-19-05, 05:16 PM

Eustacio-Chachi is an unknown quantity at this point
This is the Blue Mountain efis lite installed in HP-669
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dsc03081.jpg (149.9 KB, 1511 views)
Unread 10-13-05, 10:36 PM

I am curious to see if any other members succeeded in applying for approval on the EFIS installation?

I asked my mechanic shortly after receiving the 337 forms, and he tells me he requested approval from the visiting FAA inspector, but the inspector said this is not approved. When he was shown the paperwork - he said he would look into it..... that was 3 months ago.... and I have never heard another word...

Frustrated (unused) EFIS owner....
Unread 10-14-05, 08:50 AM

Pat this is one that you probably cannot leave to you mechanic alone. Best to call an avionics inspector at your FSDO, no the maintenance or airworthiness inspector you mechanic would probably deal with. Then send him the paperwork, then call him to see when he can make it out for an inspection. If he balks, there are currently more than a dozen installations in the US that I am aware of, including a maintenance inspector in the Anchorage Alaska FSDO.

Hope this helps

Jack
________
Live Sex

Unread 10-14-05, 12:25 PM
Administrator

Ernie Martin is an unknown quantity at this point
Pat:

I agree with Jack that you have to pursue this diligently with the FSDO avionics person. Directing him/her to the following website may help: www.consultresearch.com/EFIS.htm

It has a draft letter to the FAA making the case for allowing such installations. You can make the argument just as well as I can, except that here it's coming from a third party (an aerospace engineer who has worked with the FAA, consulted for GE and has no ax to grind) and this site has everything in one place, not just the arguments but also pictures of the units, links to the manufacturers' sites and a link to a harrowing fatal accident that could have been avoided with these units.

I need to warn you that I think some of the newer Garmin handheld units weaken the arguments expressed in the letter. I drafted the letter earlier this year with the intention of starting a push at the FAA for blanket approval of experimental EFIS units. But certain developments since then, including these Garmin units, have led me to reconsider. I still think they should be approved, that it's a no-brainer. But the Garmin units include a "panel" screen, which is a GPS-derived version of an aircraft instrument panel and provides much of what you get with an EFIS. Enough, I believe, to get you out of trouble in IMC if you lose all your aircraft instruments (the sole exception is true airspeed, but I think ground speed is an adequate substitute). Frankly, this is not my expertise and I've been reluctant to argue that EFIS is critically needed if the FAA can argue that inexpensive flightbag instruments can do the job.

I have discussed this with several people (if the Garmin handheld "panel" screen is an adequate substitute) and:

a) I get opposing viewpoints, and

b) have had difficulty getting others to discuss it.

This uncertainty has weakened my resolve to pursue this. I raise it because you should be prepared to address the issue if the FAA inspector brings it up.

Ernie

P.S. BTW, I would welcome views on this matter of the "panel" screen being adequate.

Last edited by Ernie Martin : 10-14-05 at 04:14 PM.
Unread 10-14-05, 03:26 PM

Ernie

While the gps derived instrumentation that is available in a Gamin handheld certainly looks sexy, I have tried to do instrument approaches with one (296) with our IAR-823. The instruments just react very slowly for a reasonably high performance airplane. It is better than nothing, but... I have shot instrument approaches with the Dynon EFIS and can get to minimums 10 out of 10 times, with the 296 I can do half of that on a good day.
________
California dispensary

Unread 10-14-05, 04:00 PM
Administrator

Ernie Martin is an unknown quantity at this point
I don't disagree that the Garmin "panel" is not good enough for an ILS approach. But the heart of my argument to get the FAA to reverse its decades-old policy is that these inexpensive EFIS units are the only reasonable alternative to prevent fatal accidents when you have a complete loss of powered aircraft instruments. And for that role only, I think the Garmin "panel" may be adequate*, thereby weakening substantially my main argument.

Ernie

Unread 10-14-05, 07:41 PM

For standard rate turns and straight in work - The panel page can help you in a bind - but I have found that the latency is too far behind the curve to help you in an emergency (unusual attitude) recovery. In fact - even on the Dynon, if you change the attitude too quickly, it goes to a Black & White screen which indicates it may not be indicating properly until it regains it's bearings...

So both solutions have drawbacks in a total emergency - but any options are always better than none. When you are in trouble - you can never have too many options - certified or not...

Thanks for your input - I will pursue this issue again using your ideas!

Pat