Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 02-18-10, 06:16 AM
Web Master

WebMaster is on a distinguished road
It's ok with me, Tony.
Post away.
It probably will be best if you can post it as a .pdf file.
Thank you
Unread 02-18-10, 10:59 AM
Tony

Here is a copy of the SB in PDF.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf me782s1.pdf (808.2 KB, 1729 views)
Unread 02-18-10, 12:06 PM

Skymaster337B is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks for the post. I noticed it mentions the ED-520 Eddy Current machine...the same type I just happen to have.
Unread 02-27-10, 10:05 AM

stackj is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to stackj
Anyone know how much?

I am within 300 hours of needing to do this inspection for the first time. Does anyone have a ballpark figure for what the cost is?
Unread 02-27-10, 11:11 AM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
Jim
I would check with Don Nieser at Commodore Aerospace for estimates. He has performed this on other aircraft.

Commodore Aerospace Corp.

6221 Commodore Lane OKC, OK 73162-6814

Phone: 405.722.4079 Cell: 405.503.4686

nieser.02.337parts@juno.com

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years
Unread 02-27-10, 02:24 PM
Web Master

WebMaster is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by stackj View Post
I am within 300 hours of needing to do this inspection for the first time. Does anyone have a ballpark figure for what the cost is?
How much do you have.
Bring it all.
Unread 02-20-17, 04:16 PM

B2C2 is on a distinguished road
I just had this done and the cost for doing this was $550 for the Eddy Current inspection and about 18 hours of labor to disassemble the aux tanks from the wings, do the dye penetration test and reassemble the whole thing. My airplane has 5500 hours on it and passed the check with no issues. It is the second time the test has been done, with the first at 5000 as required although I was not the owner at the time so can't say how this compared with the previous pass. I have a few questions for others who have done this.

1. There was a recent response in the Cessna Pilots Association Magazine suggesting that removing the aux tanks wasn't really necessary to do the dye penetration test. Has anyone had this done without removing the aux tanks?

2. Does anyone know how many airplanes have actually failed this test?

3. If you had a failed airplane, the AD recommends replacing the spar cap doublers or other cracked components. Has anyone done this or did you just get a new wing as was suggested in the string?
Unread 02-23-17, 10:54 PM

jchronic is on a distinguished road
The inquiry in the CPA magazine was from my mech who just did my airplane a few months ago. We did not remove the aux tanks for the inspection. As I recall (sitting here in front of the TV), Tom Carr, a Skymaster guru, responded that it's a little lost to Cessna history how the necessity for removal of the aux tanks got started but the SB spells out a method to comply with the AD without removal of the tanks. I think the total bill was around $4K and change with all labor and bringing in the NDI guys with the machine. I should add that a small crack in one filler fitting was found when the main tanks were pulled - that repair is included in the $4K.

My bird was done at about 4700 hours (since I was about to start our heavy survey season). No spar issues and no corrosion inside the wing. Good news since most of our work is low altitude over salt water with a fair amount of yanking and banking.

Joe
N337NE
Unread 04-04-17, 11:31 PM

Don Nieser is on a distinguished road
Wing Spar AD

If you read the AD it says that if the aircraft is being flown low altitude high G flying such as pipeline surveying or military flying, the wing spar AD must be done at air frame total time of 3,000 hrs and repeated every 500 hrs thereafter. If the aircraft is not flown in high G flying then the AD must be done at 5,000 hrs total air frame time and repeated every 500 hrs thereafter. There are 2 parts to the AD inspection; Eddy Current inspection of 3 holes in the bottom of the front spar just outboard of the the strut, and a dye penetrant inspection of the rear spar web inside the inboard main fuel tank bay. The Cessna drawing that spells out everything we must do to covert an 0-2A or 0-2B from military to FAA Standard Registration, states that we must do the Wing Spar AD no mater what the total air frame time is. After this inspection then it must be repeated every 500 hrs. We have done more than 30 aircraft since specializing in Skymaster aircraft and have never seen a crack. It is true that the dye penetrant inspection part can be done by an A&P, however the Eddy Current parts has to be done by an FAA Repair Station Eddy Current qualified person. The costs for this Eddy Current qualified person varies around the country. I did an accident investigation of the 0-2A that broke apart in flight over central Florida a few years ago and there was no evidence of any cracks where the AD specifies the inspections.

Every thing I have said above about the Eddy Current part of the inspection applies only to the early model 337's and all 0-2's. Late model 337's wings were beefed up and the AD lists the applicable aircraft serial numbers. These late model 337's have rivets where the screws/bolts are in the early model 337's. Cessna's great wisdom in developing the SID inspections forgot to read the applicable aircraft serial numbers in the Wing Spar AD and made a SID inspections almost exactly the same wording as the Wing Spar AD but made it applicable to all Skymasters. The real problem is now in countries outside the US, the SID's are treated as mandatory. (This is another horror story).

The labor intensive part of doing the AD is taking the fuel tank covers off the top of the wings. If all the screw have not been off for a long time, many may have to be drilled out and some nut plates replaced. The problem is that one of the screws in the bottom of the front spar that must be removed to do the Eddy Current inspection, has a nut on the back side and the only access is in thru the fuel tank bay. I know the AD says there is an alternate method to do the dye penetrant inspection, but I cannot see how one could then see the rear spar web.

I bought one of the California Department of Forestry's 0-2A that had 11,000 to 12,000 total air frame time and they said it had a crack at the locations spelled out in the wing spar AD. It turned out that it did not have a crack at the AD locations but it had a crack where the wing tie ring is located.
If you want more information about our experiences give me a call;
Don Nieser, (02&337 parts guy) Commodore Aerospace Corp, 405-503-4686
nieser.02.337parts@juno.com
Unread 04-24-17, 12:45 PM

jchronic is on a distinguished road
Re: "...the wing spar AD must be done at air frame total time of 3,000 hrs..."

Actually, the AD verbiage for terrain following ops is, "Cessna recommends and FAA strongly urges inspections at intervals shown to the right of this note." [i.e. the 3000/500 hour provision]

Certainly, prudence would dictate factoring in how the airplane was handled during these kinds of operations (as well as your tolerance for being second-guessed by the FAA if something happened). In my case, I know that over the past 1000 or so hours, ops have been mostly overwater, the airplane hasn't been bounced around excessively or manhandled, and our maneuvering has been smooth. Hence, I was comfortable waiting until nearing 5000 hours before having the AD complied with.

Joe
Unread 07-18-19, 05:19 PM

YankeeClipper is on a distinguished road
Also might be worth noting that the table in that AD specifically references the time in service for the wing components, not the aircraft time. So if those components have been replaced for any reason...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: