Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 07-05-14, 08:19 PM

gozashtif is on a distinguished road
Rear Engine Vapor Lock

I have only had my Skymaster for 3 months. I have been experiencing the infamous vapor locking problem which starts with the EGT going up, Then
the Fuel flow Gauge Bouncing and the loss of Power. As per instruction I immediately turned on the low fuel pump reduced the power and the problem went away. I have read that Walter Atkinson solved the problem by installing larger Baffles on the rear fuel pump. Some said insulating the fuel line solved the problem. I'm wondering if there has been a final fix on this problem. I would really like to fix it.
Thanks
Unread 07-05-14, 11:07 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
Sounds like it could be a fuel pump issue. I would be checking for flow, pressure and selector valve. I have not heard of vapor lock issue on these aircraft too much. Nothing to be taking lightly, check the Continental Service Bulletins and check the fuel system per Continental Service Manual. Check these items on the ground and be careful if and when you test fly.

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years
Unread 07-11-14, 01:47 PM

Don Nieser is on a distinguished road
Rear engine vapor lock

The U S Air Force issued TCTO 1L-2A-569 (Time Compliance Technical Order) requiring all 0-2A/B aircraft engine fuel lines be insulated to eliminate the heating factor which contributes to fuel vaporization. If anyone wants a copy please call or e-mail me.

We routinely install "Fire Sleeve" insulation on all engine fuel lines on all 337 and 0-2 aircraft that we restore or maintain. The proper size "Fire Sleeve" can be purchased from Spruce or other sources.
Don Nieser (0-2 and 337 parts Guy)
Commodore Aerospace Corp
405-503-4686
nieser.02.337parts@juno.com
www.02337parts.com