Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Unread 03-20-09, 01:59 PM

aldoradave is on a distinguished road
Gear Door Mod

I am looking at an alternate 73 P337 and the seller is touting that his has the gear door mod ( I think that means removed doors) and Horton leading edge STOL.

My guess is that the door mod might reduce cruise speed some and have no idea about the Horton STOL.

Could someone comment on these and their relative worth?

Thanks a bunch,

Dave Dillehay
Unread 03-20-09, 02:18 PM
Administrator

Ernie Martin is an unknown quantity at this point
I've owned 2 Skymasters, one with and one without the gear doors. The mod does not decrease airspeed. Aside from its initial cost (which you did not pay), there are no disadvantages* and the advantage is that if you lose an engine during the wheels-up cycle, there is considerably less drag.

The Horton STOL allows lower airspeeds safely, allowing, as its principal advantage the ability to fly into airports with shorter runways.

Ernie

* In the spirit of full disclosure, there was a comment once from someone who (if memory serves) claimed that if you took off from a muddy field and encountered cold temperatures, the no-door case could lead the wheels and tires to freeze-lock, adversely affecting your landing, but (again, if memory serves) other users did not think this was a problem.
Unread 03-20-09, 06:22 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
I have both Mods on my C model (in fact I think I am becoming the king of Mods) and I love them. I have flown with the Stol and without and I would not have a Skymaster without the Stol Kit. Makes a much better aircraft out of it. If Cessna would have more passion with the Skymaster they would have seen the light and changed the aircraft based on these mods that are out there today. Look at most of the later model Cessna's and most all of the high wing series have a slight cuff to the leading edge. It's obvious that this is a know enhancement for most all aircraft. It does not effect the cruise speed but it sure is nice for slow flight and landing / take-off. I installed a Horton on a 172 many years ago. This particular plane was the training bed for my private license. I flew it somewhere in the neighborhood of 150 hours before the stol kit and then another 100 or so with the stol kit. WOW, what a difference. Night and day! It made that 172 handle so much better.

The gear door removal is no different than all the new model RG's that Cessna is and was producing. The 172, 182, 210 have no gear doors. Enough said.................

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years
Unread 03-21-09, 10:24 PM

Jay Lessen is on a distinguished road
337,s 4 sale

Dave if you hav'nt bought yet I know of three 337,s for sale a 66, and two 67's a 421 and 310 If you would like more info contact me at FLYIN337@aol.com thanks Jay
Unread 03-22-09, 09:41 AM

rhurt is on a distinguished road
T337G for sale

Owen Bell has a nice p337 for sale. It has 190 gallons fuel, wing extentions, winglets, slider rear seat, boots, Avidyne with weather, etc, etc. I have flown it to 20k' with 10k' cabin altitude.

Owen's phone number is on www.aviationenterprises.us and his e-mail is owen.bell@juno.com
Unread 03-23-09, 08:59 AM
Owner 337H N337DC

Dale Campbell is an unknown quantity at this point
Gear Doors Removal

I have also flown my 337H with & without gear doors. I payed $2500 to have the gear doors removed and the hydrolics that move them. There is no change in air speed. The plus is, it is a safer aircraft. You can raise gear shortly after leaving the ground and give a cleaner aircraft on climb out. You do not have the worry of drag if a engine quits, if gear and doors are hanging out there. Remember it is only the rear large doors they remove that are behind cabin area. They install fiberglass covers over holes that have just enough of a opening to accommodate tire entry.