Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 04-05-04, 04:05 PM

Kevin B is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Need Flight instructor in Detroit area!!!

We have completed the pre buy and it looks like I'll need a instuctor to complete the dual to meet insurance requirments.
Does any one know of a good one in the Detroit area?
Kevin B
Unread 04-05-04, 10:02 PM

SkyKing is on a distinguished road
So Kevin B,

It sounds like you must have opted for N325 from Weaver... was curious what the final outcome of the sqwauks were, like the case weld on the rear engine, etc.??

Did he give you a copy of his 'Bodacious' video?

BTW, that 3" ATI cutout that currently does not have anything in the hole to the left of the radio stack in the photo below would be an excellent place to opt for an Argus 5000 moving map, since the LORAN will drive it with no problem, and according to an article I was just reading at
http://www.avionix.com/loran.html
it appears LORAN will be around far longer than the VOR's! Your panel is almost the same equipment as ours in the center stack... assuming the Apollo Loran is the 618TCA.

Just a word of caution... I know there's no accident history on this bird, like a gear-up, but the one we bought had a belly landing and prop strike on the rear "C" model engine... the prop was repaired, new bulk head, and the engine was torn down, Magnafluxed and returned to service with new rings, etc. But what happened about 125 hours later wasn't too good: the rear engine crankcase cracked wide open! So, the previous owner bought a factory reman "CB6B" version, and that's when I bought it. Just wonder what may have caused the crack, if there are any records or notes regarding it.

Oh my, I have a buddy who was licking his chops on N325... he'll be dissappointed that it flew out of the barn! And de-ice boots already... nice.

SkyKing
Unread 04-06-04, 07:43 AM

Kevin B is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking

Yes Skyking it turned out to be a very good airplane for the most part. However it is not with out it's share of squawks. As it turned out the case was replaced not repaired after the 2nd crack. Both eng have the heavy cases. There is no record of a prop strike as both props are the original but as we both know that means nothing other than the AI did not think it was nessary to include that information in the logs if indeed did have one.

There were some small issues that you would expect to find on a plane that has not flown much in the last 3 years. It will need an new auto pilot and some of the gaguges need R&R along with some other small items but it appeares that all the BIG items checked good to this point. I'm sure we will find a few more as we ring her out in the coming weeks. Hope to make it to OK for the fly in.
Tell you friend I feel his pain as we looked long and hard for the plane we wanted. We flew hallf way around the world before settling on this one it seemed. It is one of the few P337 with full de-ice which is a needed feature here in Michigan. I have gained a tremendous amount of information on these birds and the ones currently for sale. If he would like I can share it with him or any one else.
I am looking forward to being part of the Skymaster crowd.
Kevin B
Unread 04-06-04, 05:13 PM

SkyKing is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Details...

Kevin B,

Why not put together a narrative of your trials and tribulations of your search, pre-buy and final info on your bird and post it here and on Peter's website?

Peter's URL is: http://www.skymaster.org.uk/

I'm sure we can all learn something... even those of us who went through it before.

SkyKing
Unread 04-07-04, 08:31 AM
Web Master

WebMaster is on a distinguished road
Kevin, the CFI I am working with now, today in fact, works over at willow run during the week. She flies for USA jet. I can ask her about taking you on.

I'll let you know tomorrow