Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 2.50 average. Display Modes
Unread 01-18-05, 06:29 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
Oil Coolers

HAS ANYONE EVER COVERED A PORTION OF THE OIL COOLERS TO ACHIEVE INCREASED TEMPERATURE IN COLD AIR FLYING? IS THIS LEGAL? I WAS JUST READING AN ARTICLE IN AVIATION CONSUMER ON PIPER NAVAJOS' AND A READER COMMENT MENTIONED THIS.

WHILE FLYING SUNDAY THE AIR TEMP WAS 9 DEGREES F AND THE OIL TEMP BARLEY CAME OFF THE 75 DEGREE MARK.

BTW
THE INTERIOR HEATER PERFORMED JUST FINE.
Unread 01-18-05, 07:00 PM

Guy Paris is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool oil coolers...

I had metal plates made up that slide over the top of the cooler. They are as wide as the cooler and about 6 or 7 inches long. They are fastened to the baffeling. To install or remove, I remove that section of the cowl undo one screw and pull out the plate. I never asked if it was legal but it sure helps with the temps. guy...
Unread 01-18-05, 09:25 PM

337G is an unknown quantity at this point
oilcoolers

I could not tell you the legalities of it but I have never heard of it being illegal. We have been doing this for years way up in good ol Canada hh and it makes a world of difference on engine temps. It was -27f here on Friday and I sure wish I had not lost my winter fronts. However, the fronts we put on are attached to the front of the engine cowling. I have not seen the type Guy is speaking about.

Guy would you by any chance have a template that could be emailed or faxed to me, as I have lost my winter fronts and need to replace them.
Unread 01-19-05, 09:16 AM

kevin is on a distinguished road
I have seen duct tape used for this purpose. I cannot comment on safety or legality, check with your mechanic.

Kevin
Unread 01-19-05, 11:06 AM

Guy Paris is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool oil coolers...

337G,
It is a piece of aluminum the width of the oil cooler and about 5 or 6 inches in length. The end is bent up about 90 degrees with a hole drilled thru going to a nut plate that has been installed. Before this I used a foil type tape but it was a bit difficult to remove when the weather changed. Check with your mechanic about trying the metal tape to see if its OK to use. Ask about trying different amounts (coverage of oil cooler) to see what works. guy
Unread 01-19-05, 02:53 PM
Owner 337H N337DC

Dale Campbell is an unknown quantity at this point
Oil Cooler Plates

I to have the aluminum plates also that my A&P made for the top of oil cooler. I slide it in and put 3 screws in he provided, when the oil is changed in fall. They stay there until spring. With out them my engine oil never got above 140 degrees F, which built water in oil very fast. I flew yesterday to Boston with ground temp at 5 degree F and the oil got up to 180 degree. When you fly in the north they are a must, at least on my normal asperated bird.