Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 01-16-05, 10:21 AM

337G is an unknown quantity at this point
cold weather ops

Has any one here had any experience with cold weather operations? Besides the standard winter kit is their any thing else I should know about flying this airplane during the winter. Is their a temperature/windchill cut off point which I should not be flying below? Temperature in Winnipeg today is -34c.

Craig B.
Unread 01-27-05, 02:20 PM

SkyKing is on a distinguished road
Education... again!

Craig,

I hate beating this 'education horse,' but your answers are to be found in the TCM TSIO-360-C, CB "Operator's Manual" in Section V, "Abnormal Enviornmental Conditions" which discusses preheating and operations below freezing. This manual should be with the airplane, but these things tend to be lost over time. Maybe you or the person you're flying for should order up a copy from TCM. The Part Number is X30507. The POH also addresses the issue of cold weather ops, but only briefly in Section 4. There are some other threads regarding and oil cooler cover plate which will help get the oil temp up to speed, especially in your cold country.

Hope this helps.

SkyKing
Unread 01-28-05, 06:00 AM
N456TL

Dave Underwood is on a distinguished road
On www.ipilot.com this week there are a couple of good articles on both cold weather flying and icing.

I ran a big bore TCM in Ottawa for 15 years and my SOP was not to fly when it was below -20 C as it is too hard on engine, airframe and pilot. Digging the plane out of a snow drift was just not worth it unless the weather was gong to warm up and be nice. I was parking outside then.

When I was going to fly, I always tried to get hangar space and always preheated as soon as temperature went below freezing. Those winter flights were always extremely nice and worth the extra effort if the circumstances were right.

I currently use a pair of small electric fan heaters that fit under the engines by way of the cowl flaps, but it is never that cold here in England. They do work and warm everything up in about 20 to 30 minutes at low settings.

I supervised some construction projects south of Kenora a long time ago and I can appreciate how cold it can get at times. We used to think Winnipeg was a warmer place to go on the weekends.

Regards - Dave
Unread 01-28-05, 12:43 PM

SkyKing is on a distinguished road
Space heaters

Hi Dave,

Just curious what kind of fan-type electric space heaters you're using. Was looking at some of ones that are 'ceramic' and I guess they're more efficient than the regular coil type. What's the brand-name on the ones you're using? Details please.

SkyKing
Unread 01-29-05, 11:05 AM

Guy Paris is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: cold weather ops

Quote:
Originally posted by 337G
Has any one here had any experience with cold weather operations? Besides the standard winter kit is their any thing else I should know about flying this airplane during the winter. Is their a temperature/windchill cut off point which I should not be flying below? Temperature in Winnipeg today is -34c.

Craig B.
Craig,
Continental Motors has a "Maintenance and Operator"s Manual" for the IO 360 series engines. On the booklet it say's it's Form X30617 FAA Approved January 1994. (think it came with one of my remans). Chapter 7 is "Abnormal Environmental Conditions" dealing with the following, Cold weather described as below freezing, Hot weather as above 90 degrees, and Ground operations at high altitudes which is very limited in verbiage, two and one half lines. I would think that this could be purchased thru there web site.. http://tcmlink.com It further states to use the airframe manufacture's operating instructions found in the (POH) while operating the aircraft unless otherwise specified by original airframe manufacturer. guy...
Unread 01-29-05, 09:33 PM

337G is an unknown quantity at this point
cold weather ops

Thanks every one for your 2 cents. I was mostly looking for a cut off temperature that was being used but the range seems to be any where between -20 to -30c. As you all know the POH is very vauge. I will also have to see if I can get a copy of the continental manuel someplace.

SkyKing I have used in the past on other aircraft the automotive type heaters. They are small and fit nicely in the cowl flap opening or in the front cowl inlet. Just be sure to not block the the air inlet with the engine tent.

Dave what are you doing in the UK now? Was in London just over a year ago myself peparing for my time in Mongolia and Africa with some cross culture training in Ashford.

cheers
Unread 02-07-05, 01:50 PM
N456TL

Dave Underwood is on a distinguished road
Skyking - the heaters here are of UK manufacture and are 240 volts. Not much use in the USA unfortunately. They are not too different from the in car pre-heaters I used to see in Canada. I will look at an auto parts store when I am back in the US at the end of Feb. When I was doing pre-heat on cold days in Ottawa, I had a couple of old sleeping bags over the cowl that did a great job of keeping heat in.

337G - I am just north of Stratford and fly out of Coventry. I still play at running software businesses, although I am on a multi year plan to retire to central Florida. I fly out of KISM when there.

Regards - Dave