Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 05-07-12, 09:03 PM

ipasgas1 is on a distinguished road
Corrosion issue

I looked at a 1976 Cessna which had some surface corrosion per the owner. We had the A&P sand down the spot to ensure it was not pitting, etc. When they sanded it down, they found a hole in the cowling which had been filled with bondo. They were not aware of the hole or repair. While the initial spot was surface, the hole concerns me. They said there is no internal corrosion. Should I be too concerned or should I assume that all these older Cessna's have some corrosion? Not sure if the hole should make me run. The owner has come down a couple thousand on the price but my concern is finding more spots when she is sanded down for repaint...would most take the risk of getting her at a decent price or would you run the other way?
Thanks,
Dan
Unread 05-07-12, 10:51 PM

JeffAxel is an unknown quantity at this point
I would look further, everywhere. Especially in the ceiling above the interior panels, look closely at all structure, take all the inspection plates off and look around. If you see a lot of corrosion, think seriously about another plane, if it is all shiny, maybe the area you saw was a local issue. Look hard at the booms and tail too, and the floor, especially near the door and below the rudder pedals. You can see all of this just by taking up the floor inspection plates. Good luck!
Unread 05-08-12, 12:43 AM
Administrator

Ernie Martin is an unknown quantity at this point
Since the hole concerns you, also look carefully inside the cowling. That's where corrosion is most obvious. You should be able to tell if the hole was due to corrosion or due to something else, like impact from a sharp object (my front engine left cowling had such a hole, from an impact, which I had repaired with a doubler). If it seems to have come from corrosion, I would look elsewhere unless the rest of the airplane is squeaky clean (for instance, the cowling might have come from another airplane). I'm in Miami, have owned two Skymasters over the past 14 years, have seen corrosion inside cowlings, but never severe enough to bore through.

Ernie
Unread 05-09-12, 12:36 AM

Skymaster337B is an unknown quantity at this point
Look in the wing tips and vertical/horizontal stabilizers, especially around the attachment points.
Unread 05-09-12, 10:46 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
Run

Was the A&P hired by you or the seller? You need to have your own interests represented. Make sure the A&P knows Skymaster.

I just looked at a 35 year old Skymaster and it was amazingly clean. We pulled about a 1/3 of the inspection panels and it's like a mirror in there. Airplane has been in mid states all it's life. Nice low time bird but totally original. Everything down to the panel and the front engine. No East Coast crud on this bird.

The inventory out there is large but be careful. I have heard of some real ramp queens. Need to check em all to find the right one.

Good luck

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years
Unread 05-10-12, 08:55 AM

ipasgas1 is on a distinguished road
I hired the A&P but he is familiar with the plane, having done an annual on her last year. I tried to get someone unfamiliar for a fresh look but couldn't get anyone to do it before the second week in June. He is familiar with Cessna's...actually looking at a Peterson 182 instead of a 337 as my wife prefers a BRS over a second engine. Still love the 337 but the 182 is a good compromise and the Peterson conversion makes the plane perform even better. I'm excited as long as the prebuy goes well. It also has the IO 550 conversion and three blade prop. Should be an excellent performer.
Unread 05-10-12, 10:08 AM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
Sounds Sweet
The 182 is hard to beat. Good performer and load ready.

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years
Unread 05-10-12, 06:15 PM

Red Air Rambo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipasgas1 View Post
I hired the A&P but he is familiar with the plane, having done an annual on her last year. I tried to get someone unfamiliar for a fresh look but couldn't get anyone to do it before the second week in June. He is familiar with Cessna's...actually looking at a Peterson 182 instead of a 337 as my wife prefers a BRS over a second engine. Still love the 337 but the 182 is a good compromise and the Peterson conversion makes the plane perform even better. I'm excited as long as the prebuy goes well. It also has the IO 550 conversion and three blade prop. Should be an excellent performer.
My 182 is 33 years old and has been in the family since new....a wonderful plane and I would never sell it. That being said the second engine in the 337 allows you to land where you want, the chute doesn't...it's an oh sh*t let's pull this and hope for the best. The Peterson conversion is neat and I hope you enjoy your 182 as much as I have ours...I just got to where night, mountains, and long stretches of water made me uncomfortable....the ol "turn the landing light on and if you don't like what you see turn it off" joke was funny until you load up your family.