Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Unread 12-30-15, 06:35 PM

SkyMac is on a distinguished road
337G Project - Progress

Good Morning Everyone

Firstly I trust all of you have had a safe and Merry Christmas with family and friends, tomorrow another year begins and happy New year to all.

I thought it was about time I gave a short update on restoration of my 74 337G as it nears completion.

But before I go into more detail, I truly want to recognise Herb, Don Nieser, the team at Preferred Airparts, Yingling and this forum, without all the assistance completing this mammoth task would not have been possible.

And I am sure I will be calling on the expertise of this forum as we start to de-bug once it is operational.

So where are we?

I am now 5 years down the path of the restoration with over 1600hrs into the project, keep in mind I spend up to 7 months of the year overseas with work. Firstly my aim was to keep the aircraft as original as possible, therefore I have scoured the world for many new parts.

Since arriving back into Aus just over a week ago both engines and props have been installed (just doing the plumbing) refurbished exhaust and new baffle rubbers (McFarlane) should be fitted in the next couple of days.

Every nut, bolt and washer that was removed has been replaced with new, all hydraulics actuators have been rebuilt, hoses replaced and electric pump O/H. Instruments either rebuilt or replaced with original, complete new set of circuit breakers and new terminals fitted, new cables, fuel tanks removed and repaired, new tyres, brakes and bearings, rebuilt front leg, new plastics, new leather interior, rebuilt yokes, rebuilt cowl flap systems, all new micro switches everywhere, a strip and repaint naturally and the list goes on..........and yes SiD's have been completed.

I feel there is still approx. 200hrs to go before we attach wings, booms etc. Before any of you ask, yes I am still married! very patient wife and she doesn't like being in small planes.

The cost so far, lets say it's considerable, but worth every bit to bring this back to better than showroom condition.

A little bit of history, it took me 2 years to find a suitable 337G to undertake a project of this extent, one that was complete but not loved. OK so I have gone way beyond what I originally planned, but I am looking at this old girl as part of the family and it will see my flying days out.

Anyway I have recorded every minute I have spend removing and replacing each component, nut, bolt etc and in doing so come to learn that patience is something you need with aircraft, deep pockets and very small hands which I don't have. You might say I could have bought one cheaper in operational condition and flown it straight away, but think of all experience I would have missed out on and all the great connections I have made along the way.

Main thing, the end is near!

So a couple of photo's of the engines installed this week.

Aircraft details
Reg:VH-DMS
1974G SN337-1575
Airframe TT 1953hrs
FE IO- 360G 553 SFRM - Calender 12 years to go (Just been bulk stripped and freshened up, rings, bearing etc)
FP 227 S O/H - Including Gov
RE IO-360GB1B 589 SFRM - Calender 8 years to go
RP 227 s O/H - Including Gov

Everything else is new.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20151222_18_53_25_Pro.jpg
Views:	1300
Size:	338.0 KB
ID:	1618   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20151228_11_36_44_Pro.jpg
Views:	1284
Size:	373.0 KB
ID:	1619  
Unread 12-30-15, 11:30 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
Exceptional work Dave and the engines look great. I see all the sound proofing leftovers behind the rear engine......thanks for the compliment, just trying to keep this message board alive. My passion runs deep for these aircraft. Can't wait until we hear the day it flies and one of these days I will be back down to OZ to look you up.

Cheers

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years
Unread 12-31-15, 09:42 AM

edasmus is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to edasmus
Awesome! Fantastic! Very cool and you're gonna enjoy that airplane!
Unread 03-23-17, 03:17 PM

kilr4d is on a distinguished road
Amazing.

Was there a thread for the finished aircraft?
CNC3
Unread 03-23-17, 05:11 PM

Hi John

No final update, it will come soon. Again O/S so everything comes to a halt whilst I am away. Good news is everything is done except for refitting the new interior.

Engines runs are now done, below is a photo from my guys after the engine runs and on it's way back to the hanger to be tucked away until I return.

*Refit new interior
*W&B
*CoA
* Then fly!!!

Dave
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0540[1].JPG
Views:	1066
Size:	319.1 KB
ID:	1734  
Unread 03-23-17, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyMac View Post
Hi John

No final update, it will come soon. Again O/S so everything comes to a halt whilst I am away. Good news is everything is done except for refitting the new interior.

Engines runs are now done, below is a photo from my guys after the engine runs and on it's way back to the hanger to be tucked away until I return.

*Refit new interior
*W&B
*CoA
* Then fly!!!

Dave
Looks incredible Dave. You must be DYING to get up in the air.
CNC3
Unread 03-25-17, 12:17 PM

AP AVM is on a distinguished road
Great to another Skymaster was restored as a restoration project. I thought I was the only aircraft Nut to take a Skymaster restoration on these forms. Your bird looks great and as others I can't wait to see your aircraft fly again!

Here you can see all the updates of my project. I have sourced 5th n 6th seats, first parts for interior and couple of control yokes that will be arriving soon.

https://m.facebook.com/Cessnaskymast...urce=typeahead
Unread 04-14-17, 07:07 PM

Hi Everyone

Just landed back in Aus, I had the guys bring the aircraft out storage and into the maintianence hanger during the week in readiness for my return. One more internal flight to go.

I will post some more photos as I refit the new interior over the next few days, W&B booked in for week after next, then COA.

Then fly!!!

Dave
Unread 05-07-17, 06:09 PM

Hi Everyone

Well a busy few weeks, lots of evenings and big weekends since getting back into Aus finishing the old bus.

Interior back in, W&B done, just waiting for the CoA, avionics sign off, then off we go.

I have a question and an ask, I need help from those having 74G. They are related to the middle seat (been 7 years since it was disassembled) and the manual is just not that specific.

First question: When you move the white knob located on the front lower right of the seat base which releases the back rest's, do they spring forward by themselves?

The ask : Middle seatbelt locations, I am not happy with the location, could I get a photo of the belt mounting on another 74G for the middle seat.

Some photo's of the interior......

Dave
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Capture1.JPG
Views:	1020
Size:	159.4 KB
ID:	1748   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture2.JPG
Views:	956
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	1749   Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture33.JPG
Views:	955
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	1750  
Unread 05-07-17, 06:19 PM

Quote:

First question: When you move the white knob located on the front lower right of the seat base which releases the back rest's, do they spring forward by themselves?
Yes they do...I've attached a picture of mine a couple weeks ago prior to interior removal. Not great pic, but....

Quote:
The ask : Middle seatbelt locations, I am not happy with the location, could I get a photo of the belt mounting on another 74G for the middle seat.
Dave
Send me your email address and I'll send you a link to my album of interior pics prior to taking it apart.

Your aircraft looks just amazing btw.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20170317_120304.jpg
Views:	1022
Size:	865.8 KB
ID:	1751  
CNC3
Unread 06-29-17, 07:34 AM

Hi Everyone

Latest news, yesterday after 7 years and a total ground up restoration the old girl flew for the first time.

A 20 minute flight to check the basics, then back on deck for a thorough inspection. All good and back in the air for 70 minute flight, again testing all systems numerous times.

Finally we finished the day with another 60 minutes of flying conducting more checks.

We are all set to commence some cross country flights as we bed in the front engine.

Stalls like a dream, clean and dirty. Handles brilliantly, easy to stabilise and trim, then hands off.

Regards
Dave

Pictures to follow.
Unread 06-29-17, 08:33 AM

Congrats. Can't wait for pics.
CNC3
Unread 07-18-17, 03:37 AM

Hi everyone

The only close up photo I have of the old girl getting airborne. Taken a couple of Sundays ago on it's first 2.7hr cross country run. We flew to a small airport along the way which was having a fly-in for the day with some warbirds present.

Since then the weather has not been great, hoping to be out again on some more cross country runs as we finish running in engines.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1028.JPG
Views:	990
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	1762  
Unread 07-18-17, 02:17 PM

edasmus is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to edasmus
Awesome! Good for you! Beautiful looking Skymaster!!!
Unread 07-18-17, 08:24 PM

Looks fantastic...get a GoPro going!!
CNC3

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: