Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread 09-27-02, 12:25 AM

SkyKing is on a distinguished road
Eventide-Argus 5000

Anybody have an Eventide-Argus 5000 or 7000 installed in their Skymaster?

I happened by the avionics shop earlier in the week and found a nice monochrome 5000 model. Was going to pass on it, but when we fired it up, it was that incredible display that sold me - it's sharper than any of the GPS screens I've seen to date, mainly because of the CRT with superb resolution. I mean, this screen is smaller than most hand-held GPS units, but 20 times sharper! Resolution is like 512 pixels to the vertical - the direction of travel for the moving map - and 256 pixels in the horizontal.

If any of you have KLN90, 90A or 90B... or any number of other units, including Lorans, this is the PERFECT match-up! Since I can't afford a Garmin 430, I figure I'll use my Loran set up in the interim until GPS panel mounts get more realistic, although $1K for a KLN90 series isn't too bad... And your right Bob (Cook), I think the KLN90B, even though its operating logic isn't supposed to be as 'user friendly' (I don't know how that came about, as you just have to get used to the operating system and nomenclature!) as the KLN89B, I much prefer the VERY SHARP green CRT display over that orange gas-discharge baloney.

Now, does anybody know if it takes any special adapters or mods to the King KI-525A HSI indicator to get heading information off of it and over to the Argus display?

Also just discovered that the Argus superimposes the ADF on its screen and it's FAA approved for ADF-NDB approaches... plus IFR certifiable depending on the equipment that's driving it, i.e., Loran or GPS.

Would be interested in hearing of any installation woes or experience with this really neat little box.

SkyKing