Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 06-16-21, 08:46 PM

YankeeClipper is on a distinguished road
Recommendations for io360 engine overhaul shops

Hi all.

My stomach almost gave out when airpower quoted me 52k for a remanufactured cb6b today. They are claiming it's due to the pandemic. Perhaps, but I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for their prices to come back down when the supply chains start coming back. Nobody ever lowers their prices in this world.

I might run into the same with other overhaul shops but I have to try. Would anyone care to share some recent experience with overhaulers that went well?
Unread 06-16-21, 11:15 PM

edasmus is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to edasmus
I overhauled my front engine a year ago and my rear engine is getting overhauled as I write this. The engines are IO-360-GB1B for my 1973 C337G. Poplar Grove Airmotive in Poplar Grove, IL was my shop of choice. I live about 50 miles from their shop and have worked with them for 3 decades now with either overhauls or other general engine repair.

Their price for 2020 was $34,950. They gave me the same price in 2021 less $1000 for a multiengine discount. New limits, factory new top. The crank, cam, and case must all pass or price is higher. I know their prices have gone up since these quotes for these engines.

I have no complaints but they are absolutely buried with engines and have been for the entire time I have been working with them in the last year. I would plan a 3 month turnaround time. It might be a little less but likely not.

Ed
Unread 06-17-21, 11:54 AM

hayesjaj is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeClipper View Post
Hi all.

My stomach almost gave out when airpower quoted me 52k for a remanufactured cb6b today. They are claiming it's due to the pandemic. Perhaps, but I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for their prices to come back down when the supply chains start coming back. Nobody ever lowers their prices in this world.

I might run into the same with other overhaul shops but I have to try. Would anyone care to share some recent experience with overhaulers that went well?
Yep, same here. Quotes go like this for me:
Poplar Grove: 34.9K ea (it would be higher but my mags are already done)
Firewall Forward: 38 ea
Western: 40+
AirPower: 46k (GB3B...I actually need the 5B but they don't make it now)

Needless to say, ouch. I'm exploring local options at this point but still may go with poplar.

Edit: I should also note that cylinders from Cont are running 10 weeks right now.
Unread 06-17-21, 12:40 PM

mshac is on a distinguished road
Have you considered a field OH? In my aviation career, I've had shop-OH'ed motors as mentioned here, but I've also had individual A&P's do overhauls for me. I've never had any issue either way, but the independent A&P was always less expensive by an order of magnitude.

It may not be as impressive in the logbook come sale time, but a qualified and experienced A&P can do the same job as the big shops, and usually do it faster and for for a lot less money.

Just my 2 cents, best wishes no matter which way you go.
Unread 06-17-21, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayesjaj View Post
Yep, same here. Quotes go like this for me:
Poplar Grove: 34.9K ea (it would be higher but my mags are already done)
Firewall Forward: 38 ea
Western: 40+
AirPower: 46k (GB3B...I actually need the 5B but they don't make it now)

Needless to say, ouch. I'm exploring local options at this point but still may go with poplar.

Edit: I should also note that cylinders from Cont are running 10 weeks right now.
Well somehow you've beaten my AirPower quote by a solid 6k. Not exactly the same engines, but ...

The reason I wanted to go with AP was that I'd be getting a CB6B in exchange for my C6B--a nontrivial upgrade.

But since their 52k quote is a full 10k more than the one from just 2 months ago (was unfortunately tied up with work and projects, unaware of impending doom), I guess I'll have to forgo the upgrade part.
Unread 06-17-21, 03:31 PM

hayesjaj is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeClipper View Post
Well somehow you've beaten my AirPower quote by a solid 6k. Not exactly the same engines, but ...

The reason I wanted to go with AP was that I'd be getting a CB6B in exchange for my C6B--a nontrivial upgrade.

But since their 52k quote is a full 10k more than the one from just 2 months ago (was unfortunately tied up with work and projects, unaware of impending doom), I guess I'll have to forgo the upgrade part.
I felt the same when I found the quote on their website said 40 for the 5B then they came back with an updated quote for the 3B for 6k (each) over that with tiny 30A alternators.

Almost certainly going to go with a local company or a&p.
Unread 06-17-21, 05:10 PM

Yep. I'm all but decided to go with zephyr. Not local, but mid 30s with nickel cylinders.