Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Unread 09-17-02, 07:54 PM

Sten is an unknown quantity at this point
Autopilot 400

Hi, I was adviced by "gmas@inreach.com" to move to this list, from skymaster@yahoogroups, where I just posted the following. So, here goes...

Hi Guys,

I've bee lurking on this list for a while, searching for a decent 337 for sale. Well, yesterday I brought home a 1970 Reims/Cessna 337F that I purchased in Denmark! And the deal also includes an additional almost complete 337 partly disassembled, with engines and everything (but props). Even a cargo pod!

Lots of small problems to fix on my new ship. A few taken care of already, like PTT u/s, and LH Main Tank Gauge not working.

Next on the list is the 400 A/P that is totally dead. Circuit breaker is OK, but nothing happens when I switch it on. The A/P head off/on switch gets voltage, but that's it! Read about the computer of the 400 series that frequently loses the power supply. Actually looked everywhere for the computer, but cant find it! Logical place would be the avionics bay behind the fire wall, but not so. Maybe I don't have one?

Any hint or tip would be highly appreciated!!

Cheers!

Sten Svensson, Sweden
Unread 09-17-02, 08:03 PM

SkyKing is on a distinguished road
400A

Sten,

Welcome to the ranks of Cessna Skymaster owners!

I believe you'll find your 400A computer up ABOVE the headliner in the aft area of the cabin. It's either mounted next to the ELT on the right side or directly across from it. If you have a 400 DME, the electronics for it are also located in the same general area.

Have you ordered the Service and Parts manuals from Cessna yet? They will offer you an excellent source of reference materials to restore things and to properly maintain it.

Have fun!

SkyKing
Unread 09-18-02, 04:05 AM

Navomatic 400

Hi, Thanks for the info. I opened the headliner and found it right away. That is, found it’s bracket and connectors. Box was gone. There is one square- and one round connector, and a static pressure(?) tube.

Probably need a new box. What are my chances of finding a functional one at reasonable cost?

Is there a second hand source for manuals?

Cheers!
/Sten
Unread 09-18-02, 07:01 AM
N69S

Bob Cook is an unknown quantity at this point
re 400

I have a complete set of manuals for the 400 series.

IS yours an "A"?
Does it have the flight director?

KEVEN has a source for one perhaps he can jump in.

They are a good autopilot. find the serial number and model in the orig. equip list.

regards

bob
Unread 09-18-02, 07:10 AM

MikeZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Sten: if you can swing it, I'd scrap the 400 and put in an S-Tec, even the lowest end model. I know its more money, but in the long run if you want to keep the plane its worth it.

I flew with the 400 series for 10 years, and every year or two had to put lots of money into it. It wasn't that accurate, and had a bad habit of making "excursions", wild hard wingovers. I was able to handle it but my passengers got freaked. Not to say that yours will do the same.

I'm told by a friend that runs Autopilot central that S-Tec has a huge market share, but that their repair shop only gets less than 5% of its business taking care of that brand of autopilot.

If you're going to do real IFR flying, this is not an area to scrimp on. Good luck.

Mike Zinn
Unread 09-18-02, 08:13 AM
Owner 337H N337DC

Dale Campbell is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Auto pilot

Mike is right. If you need as many parts as it sounds. The S-Tec is your best choice. I spent over $6,000 getting my 400 working right in my 337H. If I knew that in advance, I would have put that money in a S-Tec, like I had in my old ship I sold. I never had a problem with the S-Tec..
Unread 09-18-02, 08:36 AM

Autopilot 400 vs S-Tec

Bob, Mike, Dale,

Several options, it seems… :-)

The 400 has no flight director, and no heading bug. Heading is set on a knob on the control head.

Actually, I do have a S-Tec 50 that only spent about one year in a Reims Rocket (Cessna 172). Everything is there, servos, gyros, etc., but it’s a 14 Volt system, and my 337 is 28 Volt.

I can probably add a converter to take care of the voltage, bu it’s a major job to install the S-Tec, as I have no manuals, servo brackets or –cables.

Was thinking that if there are a lot of 400 computer boxes around I could get one real cheap to test the system. Maybe not a good idea?

Further opinions welcome!

/Sten
Unread 09-18-02, 10:13 AM
Keven

Sten:

I'm in the middle of the same process you're in right now. You need to determine whether you have a 400 or 400A. Then you need to determine which year it is. I've got a non-working 400 pre 1968 model which is COMPLETELY different than the later model.

Availability is another problem. If you have a post 1968 model, which you almost surely do, then I've got a source for you at a very good cost. E-mail me and I'll put you in touch with the guy. I couldn't use the one he has for sale because it wasn't the right model for my bird.

I'm also debating about putting in an S-TEC and just being done with it. But then again, $$$. However, if I could find a reasonably priced 400 computer, then it's worth it for me to at least try and see if I can make it work for awhile. On the flip side, the thought of not hand flying on every 2-3 hour trip I make each week is starting to sound pretty appealing to me

Let me know if I can help.

Keven
________
Festique

Last edited by Keven : 04-23-11 at 04:52 PM.
Unread 09-18-02, 11:00 AM

Guy Paris is an unknown quantity at this point
400 A A/P

Sten,

I have a 77 G with a 400A. When I first got the bird some 10 yrs ago, the A/P worked ok but would not couple to the loc or the gs. I had an OLD TIMER look at it, he took out the comp. box did some repairs to some of the card in it. We re installed it, he did some in flight adjustments roll rates etc. It has worked ok since. The trick is to find some one who still has the test equipment for the Cessna type. There is a shop close to me that still has it. Some times when they do a retro fit they save good componets. Recently got a elect. trim actuator from them. With the 400A there is no F/D and no annunciation, eg: LOC. capture or GS. capture. One has to pay good attention to what is going on.. When ever any asks as to my flying time I respond... about 4 thousand hours, and about 16 thousand watching George, that was the A/P nick name. (the four and sixteen is just a guess)....Guy ....old72driver....
Unread 09-18-02, 06:45 PM

Navomatic vs S-Tec

Wow, I’m amazed by the amount of knowledge an engagement on this board! Thanks all for helping out.

It appears I need some assistance to recognize exactly what kind of Navomatic System I have. The best way would probably be for me to post a couple of pictures here. What is the Board Policy concerning attached photos?

Further, if I go with the S-Tec 50 I already have, is there anyone who has an installation manual that I can acquire a copy of? Also interested to know if the Navomatic servo brackets and control wires can be used with the S-Tec servos, where to position the control head and the other components, etc.

I have a complete set of manuals and brackets, etc. for C172, if someone is interested.

Thanks! /Sten
Unread 09-18-02, 07:26 PM

SkyKing is on a distinguished road
Sten,

There's an even easier method of determining 'which' box you should have installed, as well as other installed equipment, and that is to contact either Reims/Cessna or Cessna in Wichita and secure a copy of the Original "Weight & Balance and Installed Equipment Data" list for your specific tail number (as it came from the factory). This data will list a "Control Number" that specifies every component installed.

If unable to contact Reims/Cessna, I would try the Cessna Technical Support Department in Wichita, Kansas at (316) 517-5800.

BTW, you'll find a whole slew of 400 avionics items in Trade-A-Plane. E-Bay is another source under "Avionics".

Good luck on your project!

SkyKing
Unread 09-19-02, 11:21 AM

kevin is on a distinguished road
Sten,

In response to your question, the message board will allow one photo to be attached per message. You can post as many of these messages with photo as you wish, there is no specific limit.

Kevin
webmaster
Unread 09-19-02, 05:28 PM

Burt Benson is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a complete 400A autopilot for sale. It was removed from a 1976 337G.

Burt
Unread 09-19-02, 06:08 PM

Smile Navomatic 400

Really! How much?
/Sten
sten@stonab.se
Unread 09-20-02, 11:32 AM
George M. Amthor, Jr.

GMAs is on a distinguished road
Wink Glad to see you here... Welcome

Sten... this is the place to be if you own a skymaster... smile... glad to see you made it over... I think you will find this to be a very informative group...

As to your autopilot... call S-tec and they will work with you... they can take your old one and convert it over to 24 volt... and they have the plans and items that you need to make it work... its much better... the 400 is like a 1960 VW Bus... while it will run down the road.. it's slow and old and hard to find parts for anymore... and the ones that are subed... are not the same... so it never really does work as good ... while your 50 is like a modern corvett... good fast and less trouble... technology has come a long way since the 400... and after you get through getting the transistors to working.. the caps and other parts are going to start having problems too... its just better to upgrade... call S-tec they are a good company to work with and they will get you set up... I am sure... as the actuators for the old autopilot will come out and the new ones go right back in where the others were... kinda thing... even use some of the wireing from the old ones...smile...

Good luck and fly safe.. G.>M>. GMAs.