Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 12-15-02, 09:35 PM

rick bell is an unknown quantity at this point
sp brks

looking into speed brakes, i understan there are two type out there, board and sicessors. also ele and hyd. if anyone has any first hand input "+ or -" would be appreciated.
than's rick
Unread 12-15-02, 10:35 PM
N69S

Bob Cook is an unknown quantity at this point
re speed brakes / spoilers

Rick

check out http://www.powerpacspoilers.com/c337.htm

This is the only system that is approved (STC'D) for the 337. Precise flight is the other manufacturer but does not have a product for the 337.

Takes about 50 hrs to install and somewhat more if it is pressurized. The powerpack sits on the rear shelf of the rear engine .. on the pax side. Hydraulic hoses run from the power pack to each wing rotory actuator. Rather simple plumbing.

Powerpack has two flat panels that pop-up which will provide about 1000 ft/min rate of decent without changing power (at the yellow line).

It is great when you need to slow down quick or increase the rate of decent above 1000 ft/min without shock cooling the engines.

I use then ALL the time especially when ATC asked you to keep your speed up on a final approach.

Sure saves sticking your arms out the window....

Bob
Unread 12-16-02, 06:13 AM
TAS (Thin Air Seeker)

Jerry De Santis is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up spoilers

My numbers are close to Bob's.
In level flight with spoilers deployed I get 400 fpm. Slight foward pressure and stay in top of green 1000 to 1200 fpm. With the P model where you are up high, they are really great to have. Keep engines warm all the way down.
Jerry
Unread 12-16-02, 07:15 AM

Kevin McDole is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
In level flight with spoilers deployed I get 400 fpm.
I though the definition of "level flight" was 0 fpm.
Unread 12-16-02, 08:01 AM
N69S

on the level

Kevin

Jerry was just trying to level with you......

It's all relative. In fact it is a case of "attitude".

bob
Unread 12-16-02, 08:13 PM

tjank's, has anyone used during roll out? what is the effect of full flaps and sp bks deployed at touchdown. looking to reduce grund roll on a short strip at near gross in high cross winds or swrilling winds. as of now under these conditions i need to carry a little extra speed and if i need to go around i have very little time, so i was thinking with sp brks that may not make it necessary in most cases??????????
Unread 12-16-02, 08:41 PM
N69S

spoilers

Rick

These are not placarded in any way. You can use them on rollout which I have on numerous occasions. Full flap does not necessarily promote reduced roll due to additional lift. I would consider removing flap immediately after touchdown ... you want as much weight on the tires as possible. Spoilers should stop the wing from flying again and that's about it.

I have used spoilers on landing (accidently) when I forgot to release them and there were no ill affects. (only once!).

If you used them with added power when cold it would keep the engines warm on the go-around. Thought of doing it; but never have. I have used them inside the marker to get the speed back when doing 140 on the approach into orlando and when the controllers ask you to keep your speed up when interleaving with faster traffic. They are a god send as you can bleed off 40 knots very quickly. There is a bit of a "balloon" when initiated but the autopilot handles it nicely (needs forward trim). You can also modulate them as the deployment time is only a couple of seconds. They retract just as fast as they are spring loaded.

Sorry if this is a long winded circumventing your question..... don't know......

bib
Unread 12-16-02, 08:46 PM
TAS (Thin Air Seeker)

Jerry De Santis is on a distinguished road
Spoiler landing

I have landed with full flaps and spoilers deployed. Power on slow flight. Reduces ground roll quite a bit. I will not make it a practice in that if you must do a go around you may be s@# out of luck. By the way, with flaps and spoilers deployed, if you pull the power back make sure you are only inches high. The Skymaster will drop like a rock.

Jerry
Unread 12-17-02, 12:21 PM

thank you - rick