Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 06-21-02, 12:56 AM
N69S

Bob Cook is an unknown quantity at this point
Chachi

1 in 8 is not bad. Sure some of the oil is heading out seals etc. If the oil pressure is good and the COMPRESSION meets spec then I would not worry about it until something changes drastically or quickly at which point I would go to oil analysis and additional testing to determine problem.

If I see the exhaust is clean and not lots of dark carbon then I would consider the engine to be performing normally.

There are lots of signs pertaining to a failing engine. Loss of power, oil consumption and low compression will get my attention.

Bob
Unread 06-21-02, 12:56 PM
George M. Amthor, Jr.

GMAs is on a distinguished road
Question engine life....

Well ... how to say this...

If the engines look good ... isn't leaking oil or buring it real bad.. and the seals look good.. and you are using it under part 91... you don't have to take it down because of age... so long as it meets the power requirement... but,,, with that said their is always another side to the coin...

after so long the protection (alodine) on the outside of the engine goes away... and the bare metal will start to pit and errode away... making the cases weak and subjuct to failure...

the rubber seals under the cyc's bases are not able to be seen... and because they are exposed to a higher than normal heat... they get harder and harder.. and lose their ability to spring back.. so the cyc get lose and start wearing the case flanges... steel parts inside which used to be plated are now starting to rust... like the push rod tubes... and then their is the ever present varnish that comes from the inactivity and the fuel... that want to stick the valves to the guides... causing excessive wear on the lifters and cams'... rust in the cyc and .......

the most important item we have seen is when the engine sits... the getter goes away... yep the major reason we thing lead is still in avgas... as the lead coats the exhaust parts... forming a protective coating which the sulfer products and acids can't get to.... having a engine not run... will cause that getter to go away... and thus leave the alu and mag metals to start to erode away... here we can see it in the exhaust attachment point on the cyc... and you suddenly get a exhaust leak.. droping the pipe you find that their just isn't any metal left to have the gasket seal up against... it all gto etched away from the errosive gasses and actions...

Now lets take a look at the outside of the engine... the gaskets.. get hard.. the fuel pump gets worn... and the nuts and bolts start to rust as the cad plateing goes away..

RUST is the pitting and oxidation of the metal... if you take away or etch in... you don't have the strength of the metal part any more... and sudden breakage is not good.. for cyc's.... hardened shafts inside start to rust and pit.. losing their strength... and gears and their teeth.. start to lose their hardness...

So what does this lead to... well if the engine is still producing power... then the rules say you can keep going if you want... but, then again we say how reliable is the engine... and that equates to safety... and failure in flight... i.e if you suddenly get a exhaust leak... could you go down in flames or will the gasses make you go to sleep and fly into the mountain or ocean...

All of these things have been weight in by the manufacture and he says that after so long... it should be over hauled and that he set the standard by which one does it....

Can you use them..yes... do you want to use them... see above and read again.. then come back and let us know... GMAs
Unread 06-23-02, 10:13 AM

Jose L. Ichaso is an unknown quantity at this point
Eustacio, when are you planning to fly Margarita Island, and how long are you expecting to stay? Iīm in Puerto La Cruz-Barcelona area, just 60 miles south, we could meet there.
Unread 06-23-02, 06:57 PM

Eustacio-Chachi is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks Kim, Bob and Gmas, you have made me make a decision and next februay or march I will take the airplane to the States for overhaul on both engines, meanwhile I will continue flying. Hope there is going to be a Bahamas meeting, that way I would leave the airplane in the States for the overhaul and then go to Sun and Fun and the meeting.
I hope not to go down in flames, last year I had both fuel pumps overhauled because one of them had shown some green.
I bet there has to be many private airplanes flying on very old engines, there are a couple of Skymaster for sale in www.aircraft.com built in the 70īs runing the original engine.
Jose, sure letīs get together in Margaritas I dream of the oysters I had in Margaritas island the last time I was there, I will keep you informed of my plans.