Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 12-05-02, 01:07 AM

Question rear cowl flap motor

I know this subject has been broached a few times .But if anyone has a old non functioning rear motor or knows of anyone with one I would appreciate hearing from you.I need only a good coil from one.It is off of a 1974 p337.Thanks,John
Unread 12-05-02, 02:56 PM
Web Master

WebMaster is on a distinguished road
UMMM

Some one had one for sale, I can't remember who though. Search back in the earlier posts.
Oh, Maryanne (skyrocket) said that the motor, in it's fundamental form, is the same one that is used by some companies that make coke machine dispensers. Talk to her. they go through planes, and may have a coil they can do a deal on. Also, Don Neiser, who is always a great source for parts.
Unread 12-05-02, 10:18 PM

rear cowl flap motor

Larry,thanks for your reply.Can you tell me how I could get in contact with these people. Thanks again, John
Unread 12-06-02, 10:07 AM
Web Master

SKYROCKET??

Sure, look at the home page, then web pages, and you'll find Super Skyrocket LLC, home of the Riley Skyrocket.
http://www.superskyrocket.com/

National Phone (800) 841-1115

International Phone +1 (760) 929-2800

Here you go!
Unread 12-06-02, 10:19 AM
Web Master

RILEY

While you are talking with them you might also inquire about the Diesel conversion. When I last talked with them, they did not have anything definitive from SMA. Apparently, the current engine is not satisfactory, and they are waiting for a more powerful engine to be announced. I don't know why an engine that develops 230 HP for takeoff, and 200 continuous, wouldn't be satisfactory for the normally aspirated 337's.
Unread 12-06-02, 11:25 AM

Paul Sharp is an unknown quantity at this point
Don Nieser - Commodore Aerospace:

405-503-4686
Unread 12-08-02, 01:29 PM

rear cowl flap motor

Larry&Paul,Thanks for the info,next time I will try to be a little more observant.If I learn anything abot the diesel conversion I will let you know. Thanks ,John
Unread 12-08-02, 04:47 PM

Kevin McDole is an unknown quantity at this point
Larry,

Here's my 2 cents ... I didn't think it was a question of more horsepower, but rather the service ceiling is kind of low on the diesels. It's limited to something like 12,000 feet. This is apparently related to the ability to restart at diesel at altitude (don't know if it's temperature or pressure issue). I think they are researching some techniques that might allow an increased ceiling, which would make the conversion more attractive.
Unread 12-08-02, 10:21 PM
N69S

Bob Cook is an unknown quantity at this point
re diesels

Kevin

Diesels are a different breed of animal. Problems are;

1) diesel fuel congels at lower temps.
2) engines hard to start or restart at low temps.
3) I would assume that normally aspirated diesel power falls of rapidly as altitude increases (worse than gas engines).
4) harder to air start due to the compression ratios being above 12:1 (typical).

The Germans prior to wwII manufactured some rather large diesels but eventually were displaced with lighter (hp/weight ratio) gasoline aircooled engines.

I would assume there would be some vibration problems to overcome when the engines are full out.

just some thoughts.

bob
Unread 12-09-02, 09:53 AM
Web Master

Diesels

Well, actually, the SMA is supercharged, for starting, and turbo charged for running. It is a super/turbo charged engine.
Vibration shouldn't be anymore of a problem than with any other 4 stroke engine, particulary given the slower RPM's used.
What the folks at Riley told me is that they are waiting for a larger engine. I don't understand why, given that 230 HP for take off is more than the IO-360 (the engine they are replacing) is 210 for takeoff.
Unread 12-09-02, 05:34 PM

Larry, I talked with a Karen at Skyrocket and she informed me that everything is going ahead with the diesel motor.She said they turned everything into the FAA last week. John