Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 12-07-04, 02:51 AM

Richard is an unknown quantity at this point
Have you noticed a sharp change in aviation?

I've noticed over the last 6 months that GA has changed for the worse. We all knew it was coming, but I didn't expect it this fast. People that live, breathe, and sleep with their own aircraft, and have so for decades are selling. We're not talking all 80-90 year olds either. Young business people. What is the deal? I've asked most of them what up? The reply is the same. GA is too expensive, too much red tape, too much stress for what I get out of it. Another thing. Prices on Skymasters. Is it just me, or did Skymaster go on sale? Seems like $50k gets you into a nice plane that $100k couldn't 2 years ago. What say you?
Unread 12-07-04, 07:12 PM

SkyKing is on a distinguished road
Talking BIG CLUE!

Hey Richard,

Not to be the one who said, "I told you so"... but, as I recall, I was the one raising the clarion warning about the demise of General Aviation... shortly after the 'criminals' pulled off 9/11. BTW, those criminals are still at large... and BIG CLUE... they're not Arabs!

Get the book "Crossing the Rubicon" (excellent Christmas gift!!) by Michael Ruppert... tells the WHOLE story.

SkyKing
Unread 12-07-04, 07:35 PM

Francisco is on a distinguished road
Unhappy

Well I have not flown in 2 months, Gas too expensive. Maitanance very hi.....thinking of selling Hope not.
Unread 12-07-04, 08:49 PM

Richard is an unknown quantity at this point
Talked with someone in the "know" today. Seems like most homebuilt and small singles are still selling well, but no so well for gas hogs. Can't believe some of the diehards that are selling their planes!!!! To make things worse. (maybe this is a common thing). The airport I'm on is requesting full insurance on my bird with them listed as a payee. Don't know for sure, but sounds like they want the basic insurance so they don't need the liability. Also, more insurance just in case I'm behind on hanger rent? We have to come up with some creative solutions here. What can a guy do to reduce his costs? Where are the majority of the expenses? I can tell you it's not on the A&P labor side. Those guys work for little monies. I own several auto shops. In most cases it works out 50% parts 50% labor. In aviation it's more like 90% parts 10% labor. When the owner complains, they sometimes get a discount... usually it's not on the parts side.

This leads to a new thread.... not for this board, but... look people. It's not really an issue of labor cost here in the U.S. that makes us uncompetitive. It's the insurances and taxes levied onto the labor that makes us uncompetitive. If you don't own a business you may not know what I'm talking about. If I pay a tech $15 an hour. With SS, WC, Saif, Liability Ins. my net cost per hour for that $15 an hour tech is 30.21 an hour. To add injury to insult.... that $15 that goes to the tech then is taxed and he walks away with $11-12. So out of $30+, a person walks away with 1/3 of that!!!!! So if you thought our $15 an hour to their $1.16 and hour was bad.... well. Try $30 to their $1.16. Then that $11 an hour goes to pay bills that have federal usage taxes, excise taxes, import tarifs, local taxes, bond measures, auto insurance, health insurance, an item that is over priced because of all the above mentioned......... no wonder people can't get ahead. Off the soap box.

My hope is that these private owned planes can be put on a whole new ticket. Owner mantained / experimental. Something that couldn't be used in a commercial enviroment. Maybe that's just not possible, but we can dream.
Unread 12-07-04, 09:26 PM

kevin is on a distinguished road
This thread is drifting toward politics. Please keep posts on the subject of Skymasters and aviation. Yes, aviation lives in a larger political environment, but there are plenty of other places to discuss this environment.

Thanks,

Kevin
webmaster@337skymaster.com
Unread 12-08-04, 11:34 AM
Jim Rainer

Jim Rainer is an unknown quantity at this point
Named insured on Insurance

Richard, I am no insurance expert but it sounds like your FBO wants to be a "named insured." What I think this means is that it takes them off the hook for any negligence on their part. Your insurance company will have to pick up this added liability and will likely charge you for it.

I think it's AOPA but someone prints a sample agreement between FBO and Owner for hangar storage that is very fair and equitable. I'd strongly resist having to pay extra to add your FBO as a "named insured." I'd resist it even if you can get it free of charge. If they have to pay for negligence on the FBO's part (hangar rash, for instance,) it'll go against your record as a loss.

There are insurance experts at EAA, AOPA and Cessna Pilots Assn. who'll advise you for free if you are a member of any of these organizations.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: