Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 10-23-17, 02:25 PM

tomcomet is on a distinguished road
Status Update & A Few Issues

So I jumped in with both feet and own a beautiful 1977 F337G Skymaster with low hours BUT original engines that are almost at TBO. I have just completed 20.5 hours of centre line thrust (CLT) twin training and on the weekend I successfully completed my CLT Group 2 Multiengine Rating (Canada).

It is all awesome and a little overwhelming. I feel at home in the aircraft and I already LOVE it! During my training flights we had no issues with the aircraft at all which was great. Obviously this is just the beginning and I have lots and LOTS to learn however...

A few niggling issues that folks here may have some input on:

#1 - Gemini 1200 Engine Monitor & CHT - Currently CHT on #5 on the rear always shows hotter than the rest by 10-20 degrees and sometimes up to 450 on climb - very hot! Perhaps this is evidence of something more sinister or maybe the probe is off. #2 on the front reads a CHT of 1400 which is obviously wrong so there is something going on there.

#2 - Mixture - Front and rear mixture levers are REALLY different as far as positioning goes to get balanced fuel flow. The rear appears to work the way it should with good range and changes appearing on the FF Gages. The front lever is almost always full forward to give me 55 - 60lbs per hour fuel flow. That means for 55lbs per hour front is full forward and rear is half way back Seems strange. Not sure what is up there…

#3 - Instrument Post Lighting - I can’t seem to get these to work at all. Rheostat? Which of the two light knobs turns on the little post lights?

#4 - Interior - It smells a bit like an old Grandpa car. Endearing BUT not what I am going for. Cleaner recommendations? Also, thinking of doing the sheepskin seat covers. Good/bad..?

That's all for now...

TC
Unread 10-23-17, 06:11 PM

rrolland is on a distinguished road
TC:

Congratulations on getting your Multi rating and on the purchase of your 337! You will enjoy flying it.

Re- 1. 450 on the CHT is on the high side. If the others cylinders are lower, and the fuel flow adjustment -to get max fuel on takeoff- is good, then I would look at the injector for that cylinder and also the baffling.

Re- 2 Rigging of the throttle should be looked at. Are you getting max fuel flow on takeoff?

Richard
Unread 10-23-17, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrolland View Post
TC:
Are you getting max fuel flow on takeoff?

Richard
What should I be seeing for fuel flow on TO? To be honest I have a quick look at engine gages to see that all is UP but am not really taking notes at that point in time...
Unread 10-23-17, 08:53 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
----------------#1 - Gemini 1200 Engine Monitor & CHT - Currently CHT on #5 on the rear always shows hotter than the rest by 10-20 degrees and sometimes up to 450 on climb - very hot! Perhaps this is evidence of something more sinister or maybe the probe is off. #2 on the front reads a CHT of 1400 which is obviously wrong so there is something going on there.

CHT #5 maybe a probe, ohm it and see if the probe is working. 450 F is way over!!!!!! I would check the injector, baffling, or bad connections. #2 sounds like you are referring to EGT 1400 F ?????

--------------#2 - Mixture - Front and rear mixture levers are REALLY different as far as positioning goes to get balanced fuel flow. The rear appears to work the way it should with good range and changes appearing on the FF Gages. The front lever is almost always full forward to give me 55 - 60lbs per hour fuel flow. That means for 55lbs per hour front is full forward and rear is half way back Seems strange. Not sure what is up there…

Mixture levers can always be a little different position. That said, what exactly do you have to indicate flow? The factory gauge is what you are referring to above, correct? Is there any other flow indicators? If not then I would watch the PEAK of each engine, and on the Gemini for each cylinder. See where it peaks vs the factory flow gauge. You will be able to hear/feel the engine change when you are at peak. Again the PROBES, or INJECTORS could be suspect here. Check them.

Rheostat - worst controls that Cessna ever put in these airplanes. There are better ones that are PMA or STC for these birds

Ahhh the fine smell of the Skymaster, you don't like it? Where's the passion and love, they all smell that way unless you spend big dollars for a new interior

The most important thing, you said you "already Love IT" So deal with a little smell and enjoy the airplane. Don't make any quick and rash decisions. Let her grow on you a little

BTW, I'm going to say this even though you probably won't agree, too bad you have a limited multi engine rating. I know you aren't ever going to fly typical twins........I just don't like limitations because it handicaps us.

Congratulation Tom and welcome to the greatest club out there

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years
Unread 10-24-17, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hharney View Post
----------------#1 - Gemini 1200 Engine Monitor & CHT - Currently CHT on #5 on the rear always shows hotter than the rest by 10-20 degrees and sometimes up to 450 on climb - very hot! Perhaps this is evidence of something more sinister or maybe the probe is off. #2 on the front reads a CHT of 1400 which is obviously wrong so there is something going on there.

CHT #5 maybe a probe, ohm it and see if the probe is working. 450 F is way over!!!!!! I would check the injector, baffling, or bad connections. #2 sounds like you are referring to EGT 1400 F ?????

--------------#2 - Mixture - Front and rear mixture levers are REALLY different as far as positioning goes to get balanced fuel flow. The rear appears to work the way it should with good range and changes appearing on the FF Gages. The front lever is almost always full forward to give me 55 - 60lbs per hour fuel flow. That means for 55lbs per hour front is full forward and rear is half way back Seems strange. Not sure what is up there…

Mixture levers can always be a little different position. That said, what exactly do you have to indicate flow? The factory gauge is what you are referring to above, correct? Is there any other flow indicators? If not then I would watch the PEAK of each engine, and on the Gemini for each cylinder. See where it peaks vs the factory flow gauge. You will be able to hear/feel the engine change when you are at peak. Again the PROBES, or INJECTORS could be suspect here. Check them.

Rheostat - worst controls that Cessna ever put in these airplanes. There are better ones that are PMA or STC for these birds

Ahhh the fine smell of the Skymaster, you don't like it? Where's the passion and love, they all smell that way unless you spend big dollars for a new interior

The most important thing, you said you "already Love IT" So deal with a little smell and enjoy the airplane. Don't make any quick and rash decisions. Let her grow on you a little

BTW, I'm going to say this even though you probably won't agree, too bad you have a limited multi engine rating. I know you aren't ever going to fly typical twins........I just don't like limitations because it handicaps us.

Congratulation Tom and welcome to the greatest club out there
This is all great Herb. Thanks for the advice. She is going in for an oil change and to get a bit of this stuff looked at this morning. I plan to fly a bit first (weather permitting) and video all instruments for post flight review. Maybe I'll get super keen and post results here...

TC
Unread 10-24-17, 05:16 PM

kilr4d is on a distinguished road
Hey Tom, couple thoughts:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcomet View Post

#1 - Gemini 1200 Engine Monitor & CHT - Currently CHT on #5 on the rear always shows hotter than the rest by 10-20 degrees and sometimes up to 450 on climb - very hot! Perhaps this is evidence of something more sinister or maybe the probe is off. #2 on the front reads a CHT of 1400 which is obviously wrong so there is something going on there.

#2 - Mixture - Front and rear mixture levers are REALLY different as far as positioning goes to get balanced fuel flow. The rear appears to work the way it should with good range and changes appearing on the FF Gages. The front lever is almost always full forward to give me 55 - 60lbs per hour fuel flow. That means for 55lbs per hour front is full forward and rear is half way back Seems strange. Not sure what is up there…
The maintenance manual for our engines is located in this post: http://www.337skymaster.com/messages...ead.php?t=3221

Page 9-4 gives some of the causes of high CHT's. You could also add incorrect spark plug heat range to that list.

That manual also addresses your fuel flows on page 12-13 and they should be over 100PPH/engine at takeoff for your elevation. Take off fuel flow should always be at the upper limit of the book numbers for a given altitude...it's soooo important for cooling. TCM has a specific differential pressure procedure for pump setup and it's pretty important. The shop you use is pretty big and it's the same test box for all Continental engines...they probably have it.

You can talk to your AMO about the lever postions but that's really just cosmetics. The flows themselves are more important than the rigging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcomet View Post
#3 - Instrument Post Lighting - I can’t seem to get these to work at all. Rheostat? Which of the two light knobs turns on the little post lights?
I got both the dimmers and pulse lights from this company since they're STC'd for Cessna: http://www.maxpulsemaxdim.com/
CNC3
Unread 10-24-17, 06:25 PM

rrolland is on a distinguished road
Tom:

Great advice by John K and Herb. Make sure that the fuel flows are set exactly right. My aircraft type is 140 pph. Looks like yours is 100 pph.

There is a good chance that your throttles will align better once the fuel rigging is right.

Richard
Unread 10-24-17, 09:25 PM

Yes, it is all great advice. I particularly like the link to the engine manual. Great reference!

The team at Brant Aero is looking at my fuel flows as well as the more aesthetic things like lever positioning. Today she got all new spark plugs and oil. Tomorrow...??? We shall see...
Unread 10-25-17, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hharney View Post
I agree BUT I am still a pretty new pilot and just biting off a CLT rating was a lot for me to take on. Now that I have 23+ hours I am starting to feel really at home in her but I also realize that I have a long way to go. I see me getting full multi within a few years but for now I am more than happy flying my SM with the CLT rating.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: