Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 08-02-22, 05:48 PM

DrZGard is on a distinguished road
Weight and Balance issues

I won't go into too many specifics other than highly modded 1975 T337G.

Empty weight 3702.47, CG 136.68.

When I enter my weight of 190 lbs I can't even fill the 148 gallon tanks to full without going over gross and the CG is too far forward... you couldn't put two standard 170 lb adults in the front seats and fill the luggage area a max 160 lbs to compensate!

Am I entering the data wrong?
Unread 08-02-22, 08:07 PM

mshac is on a distinguished road
Unless you have a Riley Super SkyRocket with TSIO520's, those numbers don't make any sense. If you do, they are right about spot-on...Riley was working on a gross weight STC to go to 5400lbs but he died before he finished it.

Last edited by mshac : 08-03-22 at 05:38 PM.
Unread 08-03-22, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshac View Post
Unless you have a Riley Super SkyRocket with TSIO520's, those numbers don't make any sense. If you do, they are right about spot-on...Riley was working on a gross weight STC to go to 5400lbs but he died before he finished it.
Yes, it is a Riley Super SkyRocket with RAM TSIO520's. More than the severely limited useful load is the far forward weight bias. Yet the owners and pilots who have flown them say good things and the magazine articles were praising it all in hopes that the GW increase STC got approved. Curious if the Airscan GW STC will ever be made available or is it permanently tied up with that defunct company (which didn't want to share it)?

Last edited by mshac : 08-03-22 at 05:38 PM.
Unread 08-03-22, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrZGard View Post
Yes, it is a Riley Super SkyRocket with RAM TSIO520's. More than the severely limited useful load is the far forward weight bias. Yet the owners and pilots who have flown them say good things and the magazine articles were praising it all in hopes that the GW increase STC got approved. Curious if the Airscan GW STC will ever be made available or is it permanently tied up with that defunct company (which didn't want to share it)?
I've never heard of any non-Airscan 337's getting that GW STC.
Easier to get an STC when its for govt purposes apparently.
The Riley Company, even after Jack died, worked on their 337 GW STC up until at least 2002, but never did get the FAA to sign off on it.

210HP IO360's regularly carried 5500 lbs (some say up to 6000) when operated as O2A's in Vietnam. Our 337 aircraft are essentially the same bird, and built like the same tank.
Unread 08-03-22, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshac View Post
I've never heard of any non-Airscan 337's getting that GW STC.
Easier to get an STC when its for govt purposes apparently.
The Riley Company, even after Jack died, worked on their 337 GW STC up until at least 2002, but never did get the FAA to sign off on it.

210HP IO360's regularly carried 5500 lbs (some say up to 6000) when operated as O2A's in Vietnam. Our 337 aircraft are essentially the same bird, and built like the same tank.
There has to be a way someone could combine what Jack Riley had completed and the accepted Airscan STC and put together a workable STC others could benefit from. It's just how to cut through all the red tape the gubmint seems to be hell bent to put in the way of making something actually work.
Unread 08-06-22, 09:13 AM

Check here, they claim to have a GW Increase STC up to 1200 lbs!

https://www.cessnaskymaster.com/usef...-increase.html