Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 11-27-22, 11:36 PM

CO_Skymaster is on a distinguished road
Sensor Locations

I have an EI MVP50-P on the front engine that was reading some impossibly high number on the Manifold Pressure (1400Hg instead of about 21Hg). EI said to check the Manifold Pressure sensor and connections to see if it was malfunctioning, which I thought would be on the intake manifold after the air filter. I could not find the sensor location. Can someone tell me where the MP sensor would be on an IO-360? Is it in some unexpected place?

I've been trying to learn more about where some items are on my aircraft, so I don't have to rely on getting it into the shop anytime an issue comes up.

Thanks,

Karl
Unread 11-28-22, 10:11 PM

Learjetter is on a distinguished road
On my air-breathing G model, I used the MP port on the forward induction plenum (the Y after the air filter) when I put in my GI275 EIS. See pic, blue arrow points to port location. You may also need to check MP plumbing where it passes thru engine baffle at right rear behind cyl #1.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 0E082831-B692-49F1-80A6-FE2D74B00702.jpeg (800.9 KB, 282 views)

Last edited by Learjetter : 11-28-22 at 10:14 PM.
Unread 11-30-22, 12:53 AM

Thanks for the answer, I will go take a closer look.
Unread 11-30-22, 11:43 AM

Multimotor is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CO_Skymaster View Post
I have an EI MVP50-P on the front engine that was reading some impossibly high number on the Manifold Pressure (1400Hg instead of about 21Hg). EI said to check the Manifold Pressure sensor and connections to see if it was malfunctioning, which I thought would be on the intake manifold after the air filter. I could not find the sensor location. Can someone tell me where the MP sensor would be on an IO-360? Is it in some unexpected place?

I've been trying to learn more about where some items are on my aircraft, so I don't have to rely on getting it into the shop anytime an issue comes up.

Thanks,

Karl
According to EI's instructions on their website,
"Manifold Pressure Transducer Installation:
Mount the PT-30ABS Pressure Transducer on the inside firewall or in the equipment bay under the aircraft instrument panel."
Unread 11-30-22, 03:37 PM

Rick Erwin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CO_Skymaster View Post

Thanks,

Karl
Hi Karl, I also have EI’s MVP-50Ps. My Manifold Pressure Transducers are model PT-60ABSs and mine are located in the avionics bay just aft of the forward firewall, mounted on the right sidewall. This location is where my IA thought it was best to place them at installation, yours could be anywhere in the avionics bay, I would guess. Mine are gold colored boxes about 3”x3”x2” with a clear vinyl tube coming out of the top of them. EI probably has a picture on their website of what you are looking for.

Rick
Unread 12-04-22, 12:08 AM

Thanks for the info. I was expecting it to be a wire harness going to the sensor itself. That's why I was having trouble finding it. My Manifold Pressure gauge was reading normal (about 21 hg) when first installed, but later went to some high number around 1400 hg. It has been that for the last 5 months. I asked the EI personal if this could be a loose connection, and I went down to check it about 2 weeks ago and now it's back to 21 hg. I'm guessing a loose connection but was having trouble find the interface between the EI wiring and the sensor itself. I'll watch it to see if the issue returns. Thanks for the help.

Karl
Unread 01-26-23, 05:11 PM

ljmolina is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Learjetter View Post
On my air-breathing G model, I used the MP port on the forward induction plenum (the Y after the air filter) when I put in my GI275 EIS. See pic, blue arrow points to port location. You may also need to check MP plumbing where it passes thru engine baffle at right rear behind cyl #1.

Hey LearJet,
I am looking into getting a pair of GI275 EIS's... quick question about the MP sensors... Yours were ok out of the box since your plane is NA? I have turbos on mine and my MP gauge redlines at 37in with a top of 40"... garmin only has a 30" sensor....I cant find one to go as high as 40"....I know I will never see that but I do redline on TO.
Unread 01-26-23, 08:45 PM

wslade2 is on a distinguished road
Just curious
My shop opines that JPI has the less problematic sensors and systems vs EI and others by their experience on multiple makes and models….
Unread 01-26-23, 10:40 PM

Learjetter is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljmolina View Post
Hey LearJet,
I am looking into getting a pair of GI275 EIS's... quick question about the MP sensors... Yours were ok out of the box since your plane is NA? I have turbos on mine and my MP gauge redlines at 37in with a top of 40"... garmin only has a 30" sensor....I cant find one to go as high as 40"....I know I will never see that but I do redline on TO.
There are multiple sensors listed in the EIS install manual, see attached pages. I used a variety of sensors, some from a 6cyl g3x sensor kit and some from third party sellers. If the sensor is on these pages, it’ll work with gi-275 EIS.

I love mine! Good luck! Let us know how it goes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg A2AF6E79-648C-4F2A-AAEA-94144EBDDF27.jpeg (606.6 KB, 239 views)
File Type: jpeg DBF26F54-0365-4BE0-8BCA-C13F958F9732.jpeg (557.2 KB, 250 views)

Last edited by Learjetter : 01-26-23 at 10:42 PM.
Unread 03-05-23, 10:44 PM

GearUp is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljmolina View Post
Hey LearJet,
I think that "Garmin 30" manifold pressure sensor is actually 30 PSIA rather than inches of mercury. If so, that would be approximately 61 inches of mercury and it should be sufficient for our turbos.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: