Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 09-26-22, 10:54 PM

CO_Skymaster is on a distinguished road
How do you practice your 90-day currency?

I was practicing my 90-day currency for VFR daytime to take up passengers and I follow my checklist including cycling the gear when staying in the pattern. I like having retractable gear, but there is always a little anxiety when I retract it and I think will it come back down at my landing. I started thinking and wanted to ask if all of you cycle the gear in the pattern when practicing or does anyone leave it down in anticipation of the next landing. I think of the 90-day currency in a specific aircraft should practice your skill including every step you would follow for takeoff and landing.
Unread 09-27-22, 10:31 PM

mshac is on a distinguished road
I always retract the gear. Its like muscle memory for me. If you're afraid to retract your gear, there is an issue either with your airplane, or you mind.

Practice does not make perfect.

PERFECT practice makes perfect.

My suggestion would be to check the fluid level in the power pack before doing your bounces. This will help with confidence, and its something we should be doing anyway. Takes all of 60 seconds.

If you don't how, no shame. The center pedestal has a cover at the bottom attached with velcro. Remove it, and the dipstick should be apparent. Remove that and verify fluid level. If low, add your choice of hydraulic fluid. I use automatic transmission fluid, but you can purchase dedicated "hydraulic fluid" at the Tractor supply. Forklifts and tractors use it. The auto supply will also have "jack fluid". IMHO its all the same.

You know what my problem is? Cowl flaps. I can't tell you how many times during initial cruise I've looked down at my airspeed and wondered why I wasn't doing book numbers, only to remember I never closed the cowl flaps!!! We didn't have cowl flaps in the airlines, so its not in my mental muscle memory. I finally had to write my own checklist so I'd be reminded to do it. Thought about putting a huge sticker in front of me that says "COWL FLAPS???" LOL

Last edited by mshac : 09-27-22 at 10:52 PM.
Unread 09-28-22, 10:23 AM

Frank Benvin is an unknown quantity at this point
[QUOTE=mshac;2858

My suggestion would be to check the fluid level in the power pack before doing your bounces. This will help with confidence, and its something we should be doing anyway. Takes all of 60 seconds.

If you don't how, no shame. The center pedestal has a cover at the bottom attached with velcro. Remove it, and the dipstick should be apparent. Remove that and verify fluid level. If low, add your choice of hydraulic fluid. I use automatic transmission fluid, but you can purchase dedicated "hydraulic fluid" at the Tractor supply. Forklifts and tractors use it. The auto supply will also have "jack fluid". IMHO its all the same.

Don't you have to use the correct fluid that is compatible with your system If you use the wrong fluid, it can wreck you seals and cause failure

I only use MIL-PRF-5606H - ROYCO 756 in my 1967 337b which is specified for it

Frank
Unread 09-28-22, 08:13 PM

cessnadriver is on a distinguished road
Smile How do you practice your 90-day currency?

CO Skymaster. No I retract my gear even during take-off and landing, pattern work. The reason, in my mind, is retracting the gear is a part of the take-off procedure/checklist. If you are concerned about your gear NOT extending, maybe you should have your gear cycled on jacks to be sure they're working properly?
Just a thought!
Regards,
BILLS
'65 C337 owner, pilot and A&P
Unread 09-28-22, 08:28 PM

cessnadriver is on a distinguished road
Question How do you practice your 90-day currency?

Frank Benvin. Do you really use auto transmission fluid for your aircraft???
Please tell me you are kidding! MIL-H-5606 is the REQUIRED hydraulic fluid for our Skymasters. I know that it's more expensive. But food for thought- If your have hull insurance and have an accident with the gear, they may not pay up due the use of unauthorized/unapproved maintenance?
Just a thought!
Regards,
BILLS '65 C337 owner, pilot and A&P
Unread 09-28-22, 11:20 PM

Frank Benvin is an unknown quantity at this point
Cessnadriver - I only use MIL-PRF-5606H - ROYCO 756 in my 1967 337b which is specified for it

I was quoting mshac he said to use jack fluid or transmission fluid. I was stating that it might not be compatible and hurt the seals and o-rings causing a gear failure or also a brake failure. Brakes and gear use the same oil
Unread 09-29-22, 12:21 AM

Learjetter is on a distinguished road
I leave the gear down when doing multiple VFR patterns, after the first touch-n-go. It was standard procedure in the C-130, so I’ve made it my SOP in my airplane. I raise the gear in VFR patterns on the initial TO, and when I go out to initial for the overhead.
Unread 10-02-22, 10:22 AM
bigcheese

n86121 is on a distinguished road
Way to check gear BEFORE takeoff

On hydraulic system gear,
While taxiing, or on ground, cycle gear handle to DOWN.
Then observe how many seconds it takes to return to locked down position.

When you cycle gear handle down, it goes through full cycle.
Pressurized system
Triggers various mysterious cycling valves
Then when it hits as I recall 1200 or 1500 psi, it pops up back to gear down position.

If warm out, will cycle in 3-5 secs
If fluid is low, (or very very cold) will take more than 10 secs to pop back
If in doubt, do it again. No extra charge.
If any leaks, it will take even longer (or not at all).

All while safely on the ground!

I keep a gal of the right stuff in my tie down box
As well as squatter can.
Every so often just top off reservoir

NOTE:

Whenever the system is opened for any maintenance
Cycle the gear a bunch of times - in air or on jacks
Top off
Cycle a bunch more times
Top off

Wash rinse and repeat until it stops needing any more.
Fort Washington, MD 20744
Unread 10-02-22, 09:25 PM

CO_Skymaster is on a distinguished road
Thanks everyone for the replays. I was trusting that the gear would cycle once in the air, but I'm glad to see there are other options to test the gear or see the hydraulic fluid levels before flight. This is good information.
Unread 10-02-22, 10:08 PM

mshac is on a distinguished road
FYI: The information the Big Cheese from DC posted two entries before this is only correct for those Skymasters with the engine driven hydraulic system. Those of us with the later model Skymasters with the electro hydraulic system do not use this test.
Unread 10-04-22, 11:46 AM

patrolpilot is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Learjetter View Post
I leave the gear down when making multiple VFR patterns after the first touch-n-go.
Same as I, LRJTR. I've never needed the currency, so I'm not in the pattern much except for night in the summer months. I leave it down because I can leave my electrical-driven air conditioner on. Yeah, it is still in the 90s here at night!

By all means, if a pilot needed the landing currency, I would say the best course is to do it all, as you need the procedure currency as well. But, on the other hand, as a CFI working with a pilot, and I'm confident that the after-takeoff and before-landing procedure is solid, I'm good if the gear stays in place. However, I want to see the before landing checklist performed and verbalized, not skipped.

Being a CFI involved with the Skymaster, I would like to add please ensure you are proficient in maneuvering the airplane at low altitude with the gear extended. There are a lot of circumstances that can put you in this configuration.

Also, practice manual gear extensions; it is a considerable distraction as it will put you "heads down" with your hand off the throttles. This is a perfect setup for an approach to a stall or whacking another airplane. Pilots seem to want to blow through this, but it takes some airspace to complete. Of course, you will want to exit any traffic pattern. I have yet to see a pilot that can lean down to reach the handle and still see over the glareshield. I suggest configuring the items per the checklist: look out, ten pumps, look out/adjust power, ten pumps, look out/adjust power, and repeat. This is important for a stable airspeed and maintaining level flight while looking for traffic. Flying the aircraft always comes first. This is a good example of the need to be familiar with flight in the traffic pattern with the gear down.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: