Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 08-19-22, 04:39 PM

patrolpilot is on a distinguished road
McFarland Custom Seat Rails

Has anyone ordered the referenced seat rails? If so, do you have a copy of your order form?
Unread 08-20-22, 12:16 PM

kbecker is on a distinguished road
I am interested in this also

Kevin
Unread 08-24-22, 04:23 PM

Mich3773 is on a distinguished road
Here's 1414214-15 forward left hand outboard and 1514214-15 forward left hand inboard seat rails that I ordered for a 1979 C337 model H. It was difficult to produce the drawings with the seat rails still installed. McFarlane was able to make these within a few weeks, but they have not been installed, so the dimensions are "unproven". I would strongly encourage you to remove your rails and confirm all the dimensions before ordering. And if you order different part numbers, please help others by posting your drawings.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf page1.pdf (1.22 MB, 368 views)
File Type: pdf page2.pdf (786.9 KB, 317 views)
File Type: pdf page3.pdf (785.8 KB, 338 views)
Unread 10-14-22, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich3773 View Post
Here's 1414214-15 forward left hand outboard and 1514214-15 forward left hand inboard seat rails that I ordered for a 1979 C337 model H. It was difficult to produce the drawings with the seat rails still installed. McFarlane was able to make these within a few weeks, but they have not been installed, so the dimensions are "unproven". I would strongly encourage you to remove your rails and confirm all the dimensions before ordering. And if you order different part numbers, please help others by posting your drawings.
I never said thank you for the information; my apologies. I noticed that pages 2 & 3 of the order form are the same.

I'm back on this for my "G," SN 1795. In the parts catalog, you need to pay close attention to the column on the far right side of the page--"Useable On Code" and the code table at the bottom!

Overall the part numbers for all the various seat rails are the same (1414106); the "dash" is what is important if we could order an OEM part. This is all probably a moot point as there is no part source, but it will be an important note on the drawings and for McFarlane as they asked for the same so that they might help another avoid the measurements.

For other "G" owners, I've attached three pages from the illustrated part catalog for reference. As soon as I have drawings, I will post those as well. I might be a bit; I just had rotator cuff surgery.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf IPC_Seat_Rails.pdf (1.86 MB, 308 views)
Unread 01-16-23, 08:54 AM

Learjetter is on a distinguished road
Patrol pilot,

I just found a crack in my Pilot inboard rail (‘77 G SN 1799). Would you be willing to post your order form? I’m going to try to measure out my rails (last replaced 2007) today, and it would be good to compare. I’ll try to remember to post my forms as well.
Unread 01-16-23, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Learjetter View Post
Patrol pilot,

I just found a crack in my Pilot inboard rail (‘77 G SN 1799). Would you be willing to post your order form? I’m going to try to measure out my rails (last replaced 2007) today, and it would be good to compare. I’ll try to remember to post my forms as well.
Here are the pages from the '77G Illustrated Parts Catalog, along with my notes.

Name:  N53704_IPC_Seat-Rails_105.jpg
Views: 424
Size:  163.0 KB

Name:  N53704_IPC_Seat-Rails_106.jpg
Views: 421
Size:  96.6 KB

Name:  N53704_IPC_Seat-Rails_107.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  145.6 KB

This reference indicates that four different rails are used in the airplane. This is not what I found in SN 1795. On the Left side, both the inboard and outboard are identical. On the Right side, both the inboard and outboard are identical. The left and right sides are different, but not the in and outboard tracks for the seat position.

Here is what I ordered. I did the measurements first, and then a mechanic confirmed the measurements I made.

Name:  Reamy_53704_C337G_Pilot-Side.jpg
Views: 393
Size:  135.2 KB

Name:  Reamy_53704_C337G_Pass-Side.jpg
Views: 391
Size:  135.2 KB

My only speculation is that the seat rails have been replaced sometime in the past, and these length pairs were used in place of individual rails. I went with what I measured as I have no basis for further measurement.

I'm glad I didn't delay the order any further, as I had a tough time getting them ordered. As it turns out, my order will be the last custom order they fill for rails. Custom cuts will no longer be filled.

I'm not sure what we do from here are where we would find the stock available. There are eight different seat rails used in the 337, all models. I don't think we will see replacements.

The four rails were $2500 without shipping.

Please note that I left out a hole in the order form drawings. The measurements and 15 hole count are correct.

Last edited by patrolpilot : 01-18-23 at 06:46 PM.
Unread 01-16-23, 10:52 PM

Learjetter is on a distinguished road
Thanks for that info! I’ll try to contact McFarlane and see what they say.

My engineer friend (A&P/IA) thinks these could be CNC milled from barstock—he’s going to look into that option as well.

Will post any results I get.

UPDATE 1/20/23: Well, I called McFarlane on 1/19 and I wasn't in time to piggy-back on PatrolPilot's custom order since his had just been completed and readied for shipping ...but I was able to order the blank, untreated extrusion in the correct lengths. They sell it by the inch at $2.65 + $30 to cut and about $30 to ship UPS ground. The blanks just arrived at my doorstep (24 hours after ordering!) and look great. My friend with the mill will drill the holes and my local metal-finishing shop will anodize them for about $50.

Last edited by Learjetter : 01-20-23 at 11:50 AM. Reason: added 1/19 update