Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 12-09-02, 10:03 AM
Web Master

WebMaster is on a distinguished road
Cold Weather Kit

Cessna apparently makes a cold weather kit that restricts airflow into the engine compartment. With winter upon us, I wonder if anyone has used this, and what they think of it. It of course does not apply to the Turbo guys, who generate enough heat, but the IO-360, in my 69 337D, was running cool this weekend, with outiside temps about -20 C. Oil never got real warm and CHT's were mid low. I only have the original Cessna guages, so don't ask what the exact temp was. Oil was someplace around 120 (around 1/3 from 75 to 180), and CHT's were correspondingly low. EGT was up where I normally run.
Just a thought.
Unread 12-09-02, 10:58 AM

kevin is on a distinguished road
I have seen a piece of duct tape on the oil cooler air inlet do a great job of raising oil temperatures in cold weather.

Kevin
Unread 12-09-02, 03:59 PM
Owner 337H N337DC

Dale Campbell is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Winter & cold engines

I have a 337H & I had a problem in winter with my front engine running cold. The oil probe would never get above 150 degrees. There was always water droplettes on the dip stick & oil filler cap. My A&P made a aluminum plate that slides in above the oil cooler. Now the temp. gets up to 180 degrees & the water disappeared. I put that plate in place in Nov. & remove it in March.
All my flights are in the north eastern states.
Unread 12-11-02, 09:58 AM
Web Master

WebMaster is on a distinguished road
Parts

It turns out that the cold weather kit to reduce the size of the intake is in the parts book. Now I just have to remember to go and get it.
Hate to think what CessnaParts.com would charge. Hey, Don Nieser, do you have any of these?
Unread 12-13-02, 08:35 AM
N69S

Bob Cook is an unknown quantity at this point
re cold wx

Larry et al.

I have chased the parts books and service manuals for 1974/5 and I cannot find a reference to the baffles.

I run 150 on front and 175 on rear when the OAT is -5 C or so. I find the temps drop at 20k ft and not easy get around. Normal ops give me 175 on front and 195 on rear at 70% power with OAT around 20 deg C. It is certainly not the veritherm since the temps track between front and rear. Using a JPI to measure the temp. The probe is at the front of the engine which might influence the readings somewhat. The original guage reads "around" the same.

I added insulation on the oil filler pipe and it made a difference with condensation on the oil dip stick and surrounding tube.

I have always been concerned with lower temps on the front engine. Kevin... how are your temps in comparison? Seems this is about normal.

Fuel was 1.60 at KOBE last week........ not bad.

Wish all the best of the season.

Bob
Unread 12-13-02, 09:22 AM

kevin is on a distinguished road
In the temperate NW, where surface temperatures seldom drop below 35 F and seldom rise above 85 F, I get "about" the same temperatures as you Bob. A little warmer on the colder days than you, about the same in mid-summer. But it is all "about" since I have only the factory gauges for oil temperature.

Kevin
Unread 12-14-02, 02:36 PM

Guy Paris is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool The cold wx baffles....

that restrict the air entering the front engine and restrict it from exiting the rear came with my bird.... but not installed. Might install them this year. Don't think they are the same, if even available for the P's since I believe the intake openings are different and I know the rear exit is different in shape....Guy, old72driver....