Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 10-18-02, 12:19 PM
George M. Amthor, Jr.

GMAs is on a distinguished road
Post Lets also start to make up our binder...

As we said in the begining of this thread... we wanted to start to make up a record binder... for the plane... and in it we want to first have ...

Specifications.... a listing of the current specs for your plane... and next a copy of the regestration that we got from the web showing the current name and address, S/n, engines, and the other stuff for the plane. Put Specifications on the tab...

Then we want A copy of our weight and balance... from the original manufacture... then if we have any changes we want to put them second... label the tab .. Wt & Bal Info...

Next we want to have the section entitled Airframe... here we want to have the current TCD from the manufacture ...first.. then we will put pages of the items on the airframe behind it...

I will send you the form that you can print down... for airframe items.

And next we will make a tab ... engines... and behind it we will put the TCD for the engines.. but, we will break it down into a sub tab labeled FWD and REAR... we will put other things behind the TC shortly... with all the s/n's of the accessories that are on the engines... but, here you will have to make a decision... because the mags that are on the fwd engine could be placed behind the FWD engine tab.. or you could make a new tab and mark it.. MAGS... with a sub tab labeled FWD and Rear... its up to you...

We will come back to the binder again after we go through a few more items first... but, everything will eventually go into this binder... when we are done... so don't get a small one... about a 2 to 2.5 inch ring one is good... although some could get away with smaller print and put it into a 1.5 inch ring binder...

I have mine in a 2.5 inch and it just barely has room for all the pages... of items.. but, at any time I can flip to the the section tabs and pull up the info... it works real good... and I even keep my Log books in it also...

I made a picture of the plane as a watermark background..for the front cover and a label for the end of the binder with the N no.. that slips inside the holder... that way we can see it right on the bookshelf... and nothing gets lost or misplaced... all records of maintance and items are in it...

I suggest that others also make up this binder to help themselves as well as their mechanic/IA out... and keep a more accurate record... the pages of the items are made so that say like the battery, is replaced... the date and when is written in on the line.. can be done on computer also... but, if the mechanic has to sign it off.. their is a place for him to make his mark... and you have a record of when the battery was changed... how long the old one lasted... and a pocket for the regestration card... kinda thing at the end...

Nothing like keeping good paperwork records on the plane... and I usually look at the books before I go look at the plane... you can always tell good owners from the flighty ones... by the records they keep... I am impressed by some owners and frustrated at others that say.. well ya we changed the batter ...oh... about a month ago... the guy with the records.. flips to it and says.. ya we replaced it on this date... the other one lasted this long.. the other guy .. well when you check the date on the battery.. it says it 2 years old... and you ask well how long did the other one last... you get.. Gee I don't know... longer than this one???.... they sure don't make the new ones to last do they.... ya my reply is ... well it says its over 2 years old.... Hmmm the guy replies its been that long... wow.. how time flys...

Again good record keeping will also help with the analysis of problems.. such as a vacuum pump that gets replaced more often than it should... means that the system has dirt in it.. and should be flushed... filters and insturments are items to be looked at... as a example...

Sure your supposed to keep record in a log book... but, I keep getting mechanics who write... new battery... date... and signature... or did 100 hr inspection.. found bad parts and replace... (now that says a lot)... and of course the guy who signs off the annual... who never found a thing wrong... although they changed the alternator, starter, battery and contactors... filters and did the oil change... and writes... in the log book...

This aircraft was inspected and found to be ... and returned to service... signed ..Joe Dummy IA... don't beleive me .. go look in just about any long book... and you will find his stamp of approval... and no work done.. wow .. I am amazed at planes that make it thruogh annuals without so much as needing to be lubed... or any items listed in 43.13 as being checked... or serviced... and the owner writes the check out for the time... "??"

Hope this helps... G.>M GMAs...