Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread 09-19-15, 10:58 AM

rmorris is an unknown quantity at this point
Skymaster Insurance for Cuba trip

Never thought insuring my plane would be so tough. I am signed up for the Caribbean Flying Adventure flyin to Cuba Oct 9th...and super excited. But need help from the board members trying to track down insurance....I figure by throwing it out there on public forums, hopefully someone has an answer...

my current full coverage insurance policy does not cover me in Cuba...Belize, Guatemala, Mexico yes...Cuba no.

here's what I've tried so far:
- had current broker call current insurance carrier and ask if they would extend coverage...no
- found out that the flyin coordinator (Jim Parker, who is awesome) has coverage from USAIG on his Cutlass which covers Cuba...so I reached out to them, and they decline to cover a Skymaster (WTH?)
- found another pilot who is an underwriter with QBE who initially said he would cover me with a liability only policy, then when he found out I currently had a full coverage polict changed course. Even if I cancel my current polict, he will not even quote me on a liability only policy
- went back to original broker and asked him to ask around, full coverage or liability, for anyone...so far he says he cannot find anyone who will cover a Skymaster...again, WTH? Skymaster is probably the safest bet for the trip...all the little single engine guys are getting coverage (think 10 planes making the trip)...but not me.

I am willing to look at any options...even if I have to cancel my current coverage and get a liability only policy for now. I have paid 100% non-refundable for the trip...so I am going, but need to get minimally (for Cuba authorities) a liability plan showing Cuba coverage.

So, here's ,y ask of anyone and everyone...send this msg out to your fellow plane owner friends as well....send out messages to your insurance brokers/carriers and ask if they will cover a 1968 T337C Turbo Super Skymaster with geographic coverage for Cuba. Open to all options (trip only, trip only liability, regular full yr liability only, regular full yr full coverage, whatever).

Have any brokers who think they can help, drop me a line directly at rmorris@agsi.us

BTW - I am a CFI/CFII/MEI/AGI with approx 1800hrs, 150hrs last yr, no accidents/incidents on record, etc

-Robert