View Single Post
Unread 12-31-20, 12:54 PM

hayesjaj is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Dan View Post
Hi everybody, I'm in the steep learning curve of planning avionics upgrades.

I will most likely change to a GTN 750 and keep one of the older nav/com units.

For the time being, I would like to stay with the 400a.

I'm trying to learn what the options are to integrate modern gps nav with the navomatic.

If I keep all the steam gauges, what are the gpss options that work with the 400a? What are your experiences with DAC, Icarus SAM, others?

What about the gpss in the g500 txi? Will this work with the 400a?

Thanks for advice.

DD
As far as I can tell, you can interface the 400A directly with your Nav/Com/GPS unit's horz/vert deviation outputs or you can provide the inputs from a EFIS. I know the Aspen display will provide GPSS/NAV/HDG selection directly to the 400A, using their ACU to do this (the EA100 is not needed unless they certify the aspen to provide attitude information...which would be an instant buy for me). I presume the TXI would use a GDL43/e to generate the analog signals but same limitations on the attitude signals. Looks like the Garmin G5 specifically calls out the 400A as supported as well.

In another thread there is a discussion about use of GPS Vertical Guidance (VNAV) outputs and the 400A, which Garmin navigators specifically prohibit unless cleared by Garmin or on their list (the 400 IFCS is on the list BTW). I suggest you call your avionics shop about this as the notes are unclear. Also, this may or may not apply if you source the autopilot from the Aspen/500TXI/etc. Someone mentioned this limitation was removed by the Sandal 3308 so it seems possible that this is the case.

I will be doing this on my restoration this year and will post a note about my installation/use then.