Thread: P337
View Single Post
Unread 07-01-20, 09:03 AM

flyag1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffAxel View Post
What JimC said. The P337 needs to be at 120KIAS or more to stay cool enough in climb most of the year, 500fpm is realistic with acceptable temps, although there are some cooling mods that can help I am told, no personal experience although my plane had intercoolers. The P337 has a 10,000ft cabin at FL200, and its max ceiling is FL200 according to the limitations in the POH. It is not a stellar climber, and this can be a big problem in icing conditions.
Jeff, the way you describe the performance of a P337 could be mistaken for a Malibu. Almost one in the same.

There is a marked difference tho, I'll give an example using Santa Fe with an elevation of 6350. Leaving there on an 80 degree day with full tanks and 2 peeps with 400#'s of my wives stuff. Full throttle and away, rotate @ 70+ and stagger into the air, fold the gear, dump flaps and get ready for the ride of your life because it's going to be a minute or more waiting to build the speed necessary to get her on the step. If the engine stuttered just once during this phase of flight your going to hit something really hard. Once you get above 140 or so the wing begins to fly, but that can take some time. And until you get the wing flying I don't thing you have a chance in hell of flaring if the engine fails. Its going to be a hard stop.

Now from my experience flying a N/A 337 once you rotate the wing is solid and if something was to go wrong you have a fighting chance.

Per book and the post below, a P337 @ FL 200 burns 24 GPH with 150 gal tanks. Simple math says that give you 6.25 hrs till tanks are dry. The Malibu will burn 20 GPH at the same Alt... and using the simple math that gives you 6 hours. The speed is nearly the same for both: only difference is the 337 has 2 power-plants to maintain and the high lift wing.

I wish the 337 had the 5.5 PSI cabin but hey I'll take the safety of having 2 engines and maybe sucking on O2 at times over following the single TSIO540 across the tall rocks.

Just need to find a good airplane. It's more difficult then I first thought, as of now the only P on the market that I've not ruled out is the Mid Content one in MO. I need to call on that one: N27JA