Thread: over-voltage
View Single Post
Unread 09-27-10, 05:14 PM

edasmus is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to edasmus
Thanks Jim....Yes, it is kinda funny that me and my airplane are nearly the same age. In April of 2009 I had the opportunity to fly my Skymaster down to Springfield, MO to meet the first owner back in the early 1970's. I actually met him through this website. Anyway, his name is Paul and he is a super nice man. He gave me photo copies of his logbook that noted the hours that he flew the airplane, as well as the original invoice that showed all the options the plane had when it was new, and lastly a photo of the airplane when it was new. It was very cool and the fact that I was in the 1st grade at the time makes it even more special. I can clearly remember being in the 1st grade.

As for my electrical issues, I just returned home after flying with my IA and fortunately the electrical system misbehaved immediately upon gear retraction on take-off. He had his volt meter attached to the buss to monitor exactly what was happening. One thing that was clear before we even departed is that the alternators are set too high. They are making 30.5 to 31 volts and I guess it should be more like 28 to 28.5 volts. The fact that the voltage is so high leaves very little margin to the 32 volt limit for the over-voltage sensor during normal voltage fluctuations. He also suspects something is up with the alternator field circuit breakers but at this point I am not exactly sure what it all means. He feels the system is enough out of spec that after making some adjustments he wants me to fly some more and see how it goes. He cannot rule out arcing somewhere in the system similar to what caused the beginning of this thread but after searching the last 4 days and finding nothing he is going to make these adjustments and we will see what happens. Stay tuned.

Ed