View Single Post
Unread 05-31-02, 03:29 PM

SkyKing is on a distinguished road
Not a good idea...

Andrew,

I wasn't even aware that RT Aerospace offered such a mod for the P337, but I wouldn't even consider it. Have you looked at the Cessna parts manual for the P337? If you haven't, get a copy and look carefully at the structure... you'd definitely be weakening the pressure vessel. In addition fuel lines and valves from the right tank transit this area. I've never heard of anyone doing this mod and I think you'd be talking a VERY expensive proposition.

Perhaps you should consider the turbo version which has the baggage door already installed plus a six-seat interior if you're that concerned about 'baggage'. Any of the rear 4-seats can be removed as needed.

You'll find that most of the 1973 through 1975 P337's are equipped with a four place interior and a fold-up second row seat that folds against the pilot side of the fuselage which allows easy access from the air stair to the rear of the airplane... it's not that big a deal. In 1976 through 1980 P-models, Cessna went to a floating second-row seating arrangement, where the seats float on side rails. In this case the seats can be stowed against the rear firewall, or placed anywhere in between and each seat folds forward to access the rear, or you can remove the entire assembly. And you can also place smaller items under the seats as well, perhaps up to about six or seven inches in height.

Our '77 P-model has a fifth seat which is great for kids or smaller persons, but I certainly wouldn't want to take a trip seated in it as it would be quite cramped. For a youngster it's just the ticket though, with the opposite side of the aircraft available for stacking your baggage if needs be. So far in our three years we've never had a problem with loading the airplane. You just have to be creative! Besides, just how much 'baggage' do you need to carry... that is the question, and another is how often do you fly with four people?

You said you were considering the P337 as your 'next' airplane. What are you flying now?

SkyKing