View Single Post
Unread 11-17-22, 07:04 PM

dan1000 is on a distinguished road
Thank you, Dan. Sounds like the aircraft fits your needs perfectly. And I acknowledge your stated advice about leaving the engines the way they are.

Engine upgrades such as those done for other 300 and 400 series Cessnas by RAM, or by Jack Riley, are often spoken of on this forum. What is very hard to come by is commentary from someone actually owning and flying an engine-upgraded 337. It would be very welcome, I think, to hear from those owners. There can't be many of them out there, because not too many were modified in those ways. Yet they must be out there somewhere. I hope someone can give a detailed report as a longer-term owner one of these days.

I spent some time conversing with Owen Bell. He asserts that his company's Wingtip mod, along with an MT 3-blade prop, has completed all testing needed to obtain a MGTOW increase to 5400lbs, with one exception. He apparently needs to demonstrate that the aircraft with those modifications still meets the FAA's noise level limitations. He insists that no structural changes, other than the installation of the winglets and prop, are needed.

To me, adding 700lb of MGTOW without beefing anything up -- sounds a bit strange. Nonetheless, my old RAM 414A got a MGTOW increase when they installed the winglets, making it a 414AW. The extra MGTOW allowed extra fuel to be carried in nacelle tanks, providing an extra hour of flight, even with the upgraded RAM engines (310hp -> 335hp).

Owen also insists that installation of a pair of 310hp engines provides 3000fpm of climb, and 302mph (262 knots) of cruise speed at FL250 (presumably full throttle, and presumably in a non-P model, since P's can only go to FL200). I imagine that would become a 230kt cruise at 75% power at FL180 (or thereabouts).

Or I could just step into a 340A, and worry a bit more about recurrent training

Dan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan schultz View Post
Leave the engines what they are.

Dan
N67S
3OH0