View Single Post
Unread 09-18-02, 07:53 PM

SkyKing is on a distinguished road
Choices....

Hey Bob,

You've confused me with the "89/90B" ... what's wrong with the KLN89B model, like the $1295 unit from JA AirCenter? Is the 89B not certifiable for IFR enroute or approach? What's an "89"?

I got an e-mail from Gregg at JA AirCenter regarding the KLN90A versus the KLN90B and he says, "The KLN 90A is enroute certifiable and the 90B is approach certifiable." Now, he didn't elaborate, but am I to understand that it's an "either" - "or" situation? I guess the question is, which of these is IFR certifiable for BOTH enroute and approach?

I see some KLN90A and 90B units for around $1K and my thought is to interface one or the other of these to an Argus 5000/CE or 7000/CE (surplus)... and then there are some Argus 3000 monochromes out there for around $500-$700, so there's a lot of choices.

In my case, I don't want to disturb my centerstack too much (Collins AMR350 Audio/Markers, KY-196A Com, KNS-80 RNAV/GS/DME, KX155 Nav-Com, Apollo 618TCA Loran, Collins ADF-650, Collins TDR-950 Xpndr). Also have a KCS-55A HSI, and STEC-50, but no FD. My STEC is installed where the 400 IFCS mode selector used to be and right above it is the ADF head, which could be moved to the right side and replaced with the Argus. With the color Argus, that'd make a nice installation... since I can't afford a 430!

I've already acquired a nice KLN88 Loran which I'm thinking of installing in place of the Apollo, and then piggy back it with a matching KLN90A or KLN90B, and then a switching/annunciator arrangment so that both Loran and GPS feed the HSI and an Argus. Eventually I'd like to replace the Collins ADF and Xpndr with later a King KR-87 and the King Xpndr, which I believe take up less panel space - at least the ADF unit is.

Anyway, Bob, maybe you can clarify on the KLN89B, versus the KLN90A and KLN90B... and yes, I know the latter two have a CRT's (something to be considered for longevity and trouble free service) whereas the KLN89B is, I believe, a gas discharge display?

SkyKing