View Single Post
Unread 08-02-21, 09:42 AM

mshac is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffAxel View Post
It should be part of the commitment for all planes in my opinion. Insurance companies are requiring it more and more as time goes on, and for good reason.
Not be negative, but I hold several type ratings, and have owned and flown MANY piston twins. I've never been asked by any insurance company to get annual "school" on any piston aircraft.

Did you know that when introduced, the Skymaster could be flown single pilot, no passengers allowed, on a SEL land rating? THEY DIDN'T EVEN REQUIRE A MULTI RATING (There was no centerline thrust limitation back then).

So to go from NO TRAINING REQUIRED to ANNUAL SCHOOL is quite the stretch IMHO.

I can't see any reason for annual school in a Skymaster. Just too simple of an airplane, with no complex systems, except arguably the pressurization system, and you can get a high-altitude endorsement for that if it pleases your underwriter.

I would reject any insurance offer that required annual school on a 337. Total waste of money IMHO. But I'm old school...and still alive after 1000's and 1000's of hours aloft.

This kind of "nanny" mentality is killing aviation, and many other industries as well. At this rate, underwriters will want annual school on your C150 - Pilots and Owners have to push back against this nonsense! Maybe rather than requiring annual school, the underwriters could offer a discount for it, sort of like Defensive Driving.

Sure, go to annual school all day for your King Air or MU2 or Citation, but as far as your piston poppers - just fly 'em baby!

Stay current, and if you aren't, then go flying with an instructor or another experienced pilot until you're solid with the airplane.

Last edited by mshac : 08-02-21 at 10:04 AM.