Thread: 337 ownership
View Single Post
Unread 09-11-12, 12:30 PM

sonyalex is on a distinguished road
Let me start out by saying thxs 4 all the great info thus far.
Through one of Ernie’s links provided it took me to a thread where guys were talking about hard numbers for their annuals. This was very informative. A kinda what to expect from a stand point of owning a twin. Would you believe me if I told you I was very comfortable with what I read, it’s true & I’ll tell u why.
I’ve always wanted to fly but didn’t think it would ever happen, but you grow up u start to well and u pick up this hobby which is not cheap but for me I don’t have season tixs to sporting events, I don’t belong to a country club, I pretty much keep to myself so this was perfect 4 me.
I joined a flying club which had ONE PLANE a late 2004 piper archer w/glass. The club was young but had 25 flying members u can imagine how often I was able to get up in the air w/ur work schedule and family life. Houston we have a problem.
2 other club members and I bought a 2007 cirrus SR20gts with 375hrs on the tach. Boy was I excited and 8 months left on the factory warranty & thx goodness 4 that.
Not to bore u w/2 many details but here r a couple of numbers from my end on the cirrus. Annual from 2010 was $9848 of wish we only had to pay $5713 b/c of a warranty item, a nose landing gear assembly kit. Like how I said only. Then the comment I make to my partners is that it’s divided by 3 so I can live w/the price. In 2011 it was $9287 which $2837 was for new mags.
Wisconsin Aviation did these 2 annuals, and since the very beginning we have had the services a Mike Busch’s savvy maintenance.
2012 well that’s another story, we had an IRAN done last October because of copper in the oil analysis that we were keeping an eye on. We still an issue w/something so it’s @ G&N 4 the repair. This is another long story not to bore anyone here. They will get the ferry permit & send it home so the guys on the field can do the annual not Wisconsin Aviation this time. G&N still r not clear if they fixed the problem tho.
So my feeling is this, I feel like I already pay a maintenance bill almost like the price of a excellent running twin.
My friend owns a Cessna 310 every yr his annual is right around 9k & his plane is in tip top shape. 3 guys in that partnership and they r not involved w/any doings during the annual. Another friend of mine in KC owns a 310 but he is much more intimate w/the aircraft & takes the week off of work to assist in the opening & closing like a few of u do here, so his annual is $2500 if they don’t find anything wrong.
So if I have 3 owners in a nice 337 I can live w/this type of bill. I too don’t want to cut corners b/c like u guys my family will be in this plane. My answer when something is questionable is change it.
I also am in the camp of paying a bit more 4 a good plane then something that needs a lot of work and from time to time something does come up.
Ed I will b in contact w/u.
Sorry guys I abbreviate everywhere I can.
Alex