Thread: Winglets
View Single Post
Unread 10-11-08, 11:00 AM

tropical is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhurt View Post
My '66 has winglets. They are STC'd for 336s also.

The winglets reduce the wingtip vortices, thereby increasing lift and aileron effectiveness. The increased lift translates to better climb (100-200 fpm) and less induced drag (lower angle of attack for the same airspeed). You can feel the effectiveness most at approach and landing. 90 mph approach speeds feel comfortable, and you have to get all the power off on landing or you'll float forever.

They are most effective at Vy indicated airspeed, so they increase cruise speed more at higher altitudes where indicated airspeed is closer to Vy.

They save fuel. And engine wear. Since you go faster or climb faster for the same power setting, your trip is shortened and your engines are running for a shorter period of time.

Owen says they work, but the real proof is that Southwest has added them to all their planes. Southwest would not have paid the money to buy winglets if they didn't pay for themselves.

Randy Hurt
I have flown jets with the winglets, and part of what you say is true. The effect of the winglets on a straight wing aircraft will be in the low speed regime.

But in the 337, I highly doubt a speed increase of 10-20 mph. I would say it's negligible.