Thread: Primers? Why?
View Single Post
Unread 11-03-20, 12:19 PM

JimC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
Such a great topic - but maybe not everyone will take interest.

I am not an expert on FAR 23 Certification Standards, but there must be some intent of Cessna for the auxiliary pump to be required equipment; they have put them on separate breakers and stipulate their use in the operating manual to provide fuel flow (HI) in the case of engine driven pump failure, or even vapor elimination in flight.

I can't make a comment if you would be legal or illegal - I don't have enough knowledge on the certification side of things. But my experience would tell me that this is likely required equipment for flight - as the intended use of the auxiliary pump is clearly required in the operating handbook for emergency procedures. For me personally, I would not take off without an aux pump working. I view the use of the pump as a mitigation for a number of fuel related problems - and I prefer to operate the aircraft the way Cessna had designed it.

Regarding MELs (an area I do have expertise in), there actually is a Master MEL published by the FAA for the 336/337. Not required for us to use in private operation, but it is an interesting to read what is, and what is not on it.

Jeff
I agree with all of the above, except for one thing: Regardless of intent (or wisdom) I don't think there's any way Cessna can make it legally required for part 91 without an AD.

I think 91.213 (d) covers it.

23.991(b) says that a backup pump is not required if the fuel injection pump is part of the engine.

Last edited by JimC : 11-03-20 at 12:23 PM.