Thread: 337 or 337p
View Single Post
Unread 06-27-17, 06:56 PM

fsnewton is on a distinguished road
Hi Greg,

I was in the same boat as you last summer, but in September I became the proud owner of N84E. Funny thing about being on this site is actually seeing comments from her past owners!
My experience so far has been a great one. I think I got an airplane that fit my mission and was in my price range. I'm 6'2" and 215 with a wife and two growing kids...for the T337G that gets me full fuel, the whole family and plenty of luggage. I'm also in the PNW (Harvey Field-Snohomish) so I love having the second engine. If I had to do it all over again, I would buy either a P337 or T337 for our area...I lean towards the P337 because my wife and kids love the smooth air at altitude, like the speed and hate the cannulas.
As for the price..be careful not to fall in love with the buy-in and get surprised by the maintenance costs. My first annual came in at a "low" $15k...lots of catch up maintenance. I expect (hope) next year will be less, but if not...it looks like I'll be putting off ADS-B for at least another year. This was a far cry from what I was use to when I owned a Skylane....
That brings me to 337JJ. 337JJ was on my short list when I was in the market and I put an offer on it. Needless to say, we couldn't make it work. the pros: I don't think there is another P337 on the market with the number of toys that 337JJ has. You could probably sell all the avionics on Ebay and break even at the listed price...but I recommend looking at the logbooks closely. There is major damage history in the books and the plane hasn't been flown regularly for the last few years. I would definitely conduct a pre-buy (just like any AC purchase) on that Skymaster.
In short, I'm kicking myself for not buying a P337 earlier. It's really fun to fly and with some good ME training, and understanding of the airframe, I just can't see another platform competing dollar for dollar.

Happy Shopping!
Scott

Last edited by fsnewton : 06-28-17 at 12:24 PM.