Thread: 337 or 337p
View Single Post
Unread 06-27-17, 04:12 PM

gregplatt is on a distinguished road
337 or 337p

Hi all, i've been lerking around the site for a few years and i've read as much as possible with searching the site but I wanted to get some owners opinions in the current market.
A little about me, i'm a newer pilot, i currently own a piper archer II that i purchased to learn in and build a little time, great plane by the way. I'm quite large t 6'8" and 275#, weight comes with the height. I fly solo a lot, but have a wife who is only 125# and a 2 year old. So i don't need a lot of useful load but sometimes would take in laws so 5 seats is nice. I will fly for work a little, lots of 100nm flights but quite a few 400 to 600nm flights. Would also like to fly to Baja, islands, etc... I'm in the pacific nw so lots of high terrain and unfriendly landing options. I had looked into the cirrus planes but really i think that i want a twin. I like the 337 because it seems docile, i like that!
Anyway to my question, i really want to end up in a P337. That being said should i start out with a basic N/A 337 to begin with then move up. I like the idea of moving up slowly, since a majority of my time so far is in one of the most forgiving airplanes ever made. Some issues i see though is purchasing a pretty cheap N/A 337 then you know i'll want to do a few upgrades, and from what I've seen over the last few years it might take a long time to sell it when I want to move up. Buy the P337 first off and then not feel bad about my upgrade money that will never come back and not have to worry about selling it.
There are some pretty amazing deals on p337's right now, i feel bad for the current owners honestly. Amazing plane for the money. Just in case people ask as to why i want to end up in the p337. I'd love to fly mid teens out of traffic and most weather without oxygen. The p337 appears to actually be more efficient then the N/A planes at some altitude. I think that from what I've read the pressurization is a safety factor for comfort. A typical flight for me is over the cascade range, well i say that but right now i won't fly that in the archer i fly down the gorge then head south because i'm not comfortable SEL over that terrain.

And by the way, this is a p337 that has really caught my attention. https://www.controller.com/listings/...73-cessna-p337

Last edited by gregplatt : 06-27-17 at 04:16 PM.