View Single Post
Unread 01-28-10, 08:16 PM

brian is an unknown quantity at this point
Front Prop Hub

Quote:
Originally Posted by hharney View Post
Who have you talked to? Did you call Don Nieser at Commodore Aero?
Herb, I am in contact with Don at Commodore and "The Prop Shop" folks on his website. Also with a fellow in Canada from this forum. Have located 2 overhaul props at $7500 and $8500 via those contacts. A new hub is estimated to be about $4000 or so, although I will not know for sure until next week. (Possibly a long lead time, like 6 months on the hub or new prop?) Plus overhaul cost, I suppose of $3000 or so, putting me back over $7000 total. My prop is disassembled in Erie Colo. at Rocky Mountain props.

This was a learning thing for me. Noticed some red oil dripping from the prop. Local mechanic said that sometimes happens after sitting and they sometimes re-seal after a longer flight. But it was past TBO calendar and hourwise so we sent the prop in as part of the annual inspection. So, I sort of figured this could happen, have often heard of corroded blades, or hub during these things. Apparently my blades are okay, but hub has too much corrosion. A re-seal job for the rear prop (5 years since new) has crossed my mind as a result of this. If I hit the lottery this week I would go ahead and put new 3 blade composites on front and rear.

Brian